bought a bad engine....what to do - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 08:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

bought a bad engine....what to do

So i just bought a used 383 for $700. Guy said he just put new gaskets in and everything looked good.....my *****. I went to do a head swap and found out that the wrist pin on one rod had pushed into the cylinder, and is way beyond boring out. Took the rest apart and the everything looked reusable except the pistons and the block obviously. Money is really tight, what are my best options. Can i use a 400 block with pistons for 5.7 rods, and super oversized main bearings if there is such a thing? I dont know im just to bummed to think right now. Whats your suggestions

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 09:18 PM

Get you money back.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:28 PM

Last photo:

Get your money back

the block is no good so the court WILL be in your favor if he wants to go that far.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:33 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by High School Hot Rod
found out that the wrist pin on one rod had pushed into the cylinder, and is way beyond boring out. Took the rest apart and the everything looked reusable except the pistons and the block obviously. Money is really tight, what are my best options. Can i use a 400 block with pistons for 5.7 rods, and super oversized main bearings if there is such a thing? I dont know im just to bummed to think right now. Whats your suggestions
Another 350 4-bolt block would be a good way to go. Or you could see about sleeving that cylinder.

If not, there are spacers or thick bearings for using the 350 crank's 2.45" journal in a 2.65" 400 journal block, this nets you 377 ci w/a standard bore, about 382 ci @ 0.030" over.

Cleveite P/N for the bearings is TM77-MS-1564-P, shown on pp99 HERE .

Spacers are available from several parts suppliers, THESE are from Speedway.

You'll also need to align hone.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Duster 340

Sleeve it

You need to have the block cleaned anyway, when you have new cam bearings and freeze out plugs installed, have a sleeve put in the one cylinder, no biggie there.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:12 PM
sickolds

Last photo:

i hate mother ****ers that sell damaged things and say (oh its runs good oh i just had some work done to it ) bull **** ******* why cant u just tell me whats really wrong so i can fix it or rebuild it instead of me waisting my money and time i just bought a trans th350 and the ******* i bought it from said he had it in his truck and it ran good bull when i opened it up the case was shot out everything in it was trash
Old 06-22-2010, 10:15 AM
HR VIOLATION

Last photo:

The seller misrepresented the goods and I believe you would have legal recourse although the legal fees may eat away at your $700 very quickly.. I would simply approach the seller in a non-confrontational but very direct tone and explain what you found and request a full refund. If you go in hot and heavy, you won't get anything but a defensive uncooperative response from him. (dont accuse him of knowing ahead of time, he will never admit it)

If you dont get a refund it sounds like most of your parts would be reusable on a fresh block.. In that case I would suggest a 350 block since there are some differences between the 350 and 400 blocks (crank??) and I don't think everything is interchangable between the two.. I'm sure someone on here can tell you everything there is to know about those differences though!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by High School Hot Rod
So i just bought a used 383 for $700. Guy said he just put new gaskets in and everything looked good.....my *****. I went to do a head swap and found out that the wrist pin on one rod had pushed into the cylinder, and is way beyond boring out. Took the rest apart and the everything looked reusable except the pistons and the block obviously. Money is really tight, what are my best options. Can i use a 400 block with pistons for 5.7 rods, and super oversized main bearings if there is such a thing? I dont know im just to bummed to think right now. Whats your suggestions
Old 06-22-2010, 10:34 AM
boatbob2

Sorry Sellers.....

Hi,that reminds me of the time i bought 5 gallons of Chris Craft Gel Coat, custom color matched,$200.00 + $72.00 shipping,when it arrived,and i opened it,the gel coat had a red tinge to it,when i stirred it,i found 5 greasy red shop towels in it,i sent it back,they sent it back to me. so,i waited almost a year.and went to visit them on saturday nite,i EPOXIED all their door ,and garage door locks solid,then,threw the 5 gallons of gel coat (opened) thru their window,uncatalyzed (of course) i believe in direct action,do me,i will do you.and what comes around,goes around. it probably cost them $1000 to clean the mess up,(if they ever did).
Old 06-23-2010, 01:00 PM

I went back to the guy and told him the situation in a non confrontational way. He gave me $500 and let me keep the engine. There is an older man who is going give me a 400 block thats been bored .030 over and some heads that have had 2.02 in. and 1.6 ex. valves installed So if i did all my homework right if i use the 383 crank, main bearing spacers, 400 pistons designed for 5.7 rods, and the damper and flexplate from the 383, it should work in the 400 block. Not to mention the block and rods dont need to be ground to fit the crank as it would with a 350 block. Now i dont want to get ahead of myself but i'll tell you my setup so if anyone is really eager they could help me pick out a cam. 78 camaro, 3400 lbs, 3.42 gears, 26in tall et streets, manual (hoping to get a th350...Im not afraid of a 3000 stall either), 750 holley, 10:1 compression, airgap intake, headers, 3 dual exhaust with cutouts, street/strip, shifting at 6200 rpm, looking for a solid flat tappet. Hope someone can answer all these questions lol. thanks again guys

Last edited by High School Hot Rod; 06-23-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:57 PM
sickolds

Last photo:

i think it needs to be balanced again if the piston is no good
Old 06-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Duster 340

Sounds as if you are on your way. If you want to balance everything, do it yourself. Buy you a small scale and weigh each piece, find which one is the lightest, match the others too it. If you need to know how to balance, there are many articles out there that will show and tell you how.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:01 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster 340 View Post
Sounds as if you are on your way. If you want to balance everything, do it yourself. Buy you a small scale and weigh each piece, find which one is the lightest, match the others too it. If you need to know how to balance, there are many articles out there that will show and tell you how.
That is NOT going to do you any good when trying to balance a crank...
Old 06-30-2012, 10:41 PM

Last photo:

This post is 2 yrs old.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.