Hot Rod Forum banner

Bought a Cutoff & Talk Hf Tool policy

4K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  mitmaks 
#1 ·
I got myself a HF cutoff tool today 10 bucks (90114), while paying for it the guy was talkin about the 1 year warranty, sweet :) 10 dollar tool 1 year warranty...That warranty's worth 10 bux alone.....Then he also mentioned if I owned any craftsman ratches and wrenches, I said yep couple big tool boxes full of them and some others..

Anyway he says that HF wrenches and ratches have lifetime warranty on them like craftsmans, bring in a broke hf tool and get a new one typea deal (prolly need a recipt, because those tools look so generic how you gonna prove they are hf)...But, I thought that was pretty cool, but who knows how much you can really put grunt into them without it snapping...Still that beats the hell outta the other cheap tools from say like walmart or wherever.

Used my cutoff on my glasspacks, cut their ends off make it deeper and let that fiberglass fly outta there :mwink: str8 pipes with a muffler look :)

Gotta go back tomorrow and get a 10 pack of discs, i shoulda known i would need more when i was there (broke the disc on my pass exaust. after doing the drivers side) :( How much better are the metal cutting discs compared to the regular cutting discs that look like brake pad material..?
Im gonna get the metal cutting ones, but im just curious.

Its an air hog (17cfm @90) but my comp keeps up with 15 second pauses every 45s. to minute of cutting, well worth the 10 bucks, I was gonna hacksaw it, glad i bought this instead of the other route. :D Id still be hacking away LOL!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I have two, one w/ the cut-off disk and one with a carbide burr. Saves time changing tools. And yes, HF lifetime return policy works. I have taken back many broken tools and get a replacement w/ no questions asked. Actually much less hassle than I have gotten from Sears on some Craftsman tools. The grit disks last a long time once you figure out how to use them w/o breaking them. Don't bend or force them, let the grit do the work.

#4 ·
Just got back from HF again...Gotta let my exaust cool before i start cutting....

Those 10 pack of discs (online they say 9.99) They are on sale for 3 bucks a pack :D I got 3 packs (added up to 10 bux, so its like 3 for 1) to do me for a couple months. Go grab em while they gottem em on sale :thumbup:

Oh yea the one i broke, i got it stuck in my cut, and i didnt think about the force pulling it out and it cokked and snapped (stupid newbie lol.) This time i know they cant take any wiggling or force so hopefully i wont do that again. I used it cracked (safety glasses on) it worked for the rest of my cut, then wham, it shattered..it was cool.

I think these cutoff tools are only 9 bux because they forgot to package the 5 discs inside the box like the manual says they r supposed come with them....they wernt there...so im thinkin they lowered the price cuz they screwd up...

Anyway 3 bucks a 10 pack of discs on sale...heh i sound like an ad. Im not advertizing just sharing the good deal :)

Have a good one guys.

#5 ·
Seems like I am always badmouthing cheap tools but then I just can't pass the Harbor Freight store when ever I am in the area :rolleyes: I bought one of those cut off tools and it works great! Now that I look around my garage I see a lot of HF stuff, most of it worth a heck of a lot more than it cost. I find the dewalt cut-off discs seem to last a lot longer than the HF brand but I bought them at Harbor Freight too. Had my HF DA sander for about five years now and I have used it a bunch, if I remember right I got it on sale for $19.95 and when it goes I guess I will stop at HF again :)

#6 ·
HF probably has a better return policy than Lowes does for task force tools which have lifetime warranty. My dad bought me a Task Force 149 peice tool set, recently the 3/8" ratchet broke, went to lowes to get it exchanged, said it was from a diffrent store, and was over 90 days, really, it is not supposeto matter the store even tho they were from another store, just the 2 ditz's working the return counter just didn't feel like doing anything. The 1 girl said the best thing to do was to go to the manufacture, so figuring that I wouldn't get them to do a thing, I just walked out. Went looking on the internet for task force's site, used google, nothing came up. looked on lowes site thinking there might be a link to task forces site, nope. So I will go back to the store they were purchaced from, and try for an exchange for a good rachet, if they say it has to go through the manufacture, I'll tell them, to give me a contact number for task force. HF has some good stuff. Can't beat the price of the compressor air hose, not on sale at the 1 I go to, it's 8 bucks for a 100' roll. I did buy somthing that is junk there tho, it's a 100' air hose reel, it's there cheap 1 that sells for 10 bucks. I loaded it with a 50' roll of 3/8", neatly and evenly and the prongs bent out on 1 of the forks, so it would hit the frame and knock as it unrolled. I bent it back and it seems fine now, hope it stays that way.

#8 ·
I like the straight cut off tools and the angle grinders. I usually buy them at either HF or Northern. Since I use them at work all of the time, I usually have an angle grinder with a cut off wheel, and another with an adaptor for the Roloc disks. Swapping tools in them is too costly, considering the cost of the tool itself. You can catch them on sale for so cheaply, it isn't worth it to have to change tools all of the time, specially when you are working on commision. The tools usually only last me a couple of years, but considering the price, it is worth it. One thing about Northern and also HF is that for a couple of extra bucks, if you want to, you can get an additional warranty on them. At Northern, I will sometimes get the warranty. I have yet to use it, because the tool outlasts the warranty period. Several years ago, I priced one of the angle grinders from Snap-On. It was 4 times the cost of the similar item at Northern. The warranty period was 1/2 of what Northern was. Tools like that are only going to last just so long before the gears strip out. I decided that it was more cost effective to buy them at Northern or HF.

#9 ·
HF offers an extra cost warranty too but I don't know what it is. As a hobbyist, my HF tools usually last the better part of a decade so they are obsolete, let alone past any warranty period! And if I run into an infant mortality problem, I have always been able to pitch a fit and eve cry if necessary (luckily haven't had to go much past the preliminary "tearing up" stage yet) and they give me a new one, no questions.

#11 ·
Hey guys,

When i oil this sucker up, what would be good to use?....I dont have pneumatic oil. Ive got marvel mystery oil, some 80 or 90w gear lube, various motor oils 5 up to 30w, or mineral oil..thats what i got in the garage....off the top of my head.

Im thinkin either marvel or mineral or mabey a light weight motor oil.....squirted in the inlet :D

sound about right?

#15 ·
Harbor Freight or (HF)
ranks up there
as the best thing since sliced bread
and air tools :D
for a reasonable price.
It is like the (dollar store) of tools.
like post that was mentioned earlier
count up all your tools and price them elsewere
and the savings are huge. :thumbup:

#17 ·
Willys, Have you tried the HF 1/2" impact wrench they call Earthquake? A buddy of mine just bought one of those things and it is a brute, it has a bunch more torque than my Snap-on and in fact is one of the strongest 1/2" impact wrenches I have ever used. At around $80 on sale(it almost always is) it is a bit pricey for an HF brand but it looks like it is better built than most cheapo air tools. I am going to get one the next time I go by the store :) and with what I use my impacts for I will know real soon how well it will hold up.

#19 ·
I've also heard that the earthquake impact wrench is decent for the money. I don't know if it's lucky or not (I think it's lucky), but there is a Harbor Frieght on ride home every day. I probably stop at least once a week! Today I saw that it is on sale currently for $80. Hmmm...I just purchased a compressor and am starting to collect tools. I may have to pick one up. I'm about to run 220V service to my garage..until then, the tools sure do LOOK nice!!!

- Drew

#20 ·
While at HF yesterday, I saw that they will be having a sidewalk sale at their stores on Oct. 1 and 2. Some things advertised are a 4 1/2" angle grinder for $8.99, hole saw set $2, 6" industrial vise $35, ATV/Motorcycle jack $43, 800lb tranny jack $90, 1/4" air ratchet $16. Heck...can't go wrong for some of those prices. If it breaks in less than a year....get another. Otherwise, just buy another!!! Another steal they have right now is their 3-pack of small brass/steel/nylon brushes.. 50cents. It's always nice to have those when cleaning parts.

have a good holiday weekend - Drew

GO VT!!

#21 ·
You gotta' be careful buying the HF hole saws. Usually the cheap ones are carbon steel and good only for wood, sheet rock etc. If you are wanting to use them on sheet metal you need to use bi-metal hole saws. I bought one of the Drill Master angle grinders, the ones that look like they have cooling fins on the nose piece, the really cheap grinders and it lasted about a month before stripping gears. The orange ones with the smooth nose case are much better grinders, about double the price but worth it. :)

#22 ·
Was just browsing in Home Depot today and notice the Royobi/ Dewalt/ etc. name brand 18V cordless drills are anywhere from $199 to $275. THe HF really nice one with trickle charger and easy chuck is $49. And I can testify they will torque with the best of them and last at least 5 years of hard abuse. And when the gear train finally breaks, a replacement train and motor module is $17 - brand new for another 5 years. Have seen th HF hole saws for years and never bought any 'cause that is likely a crappy tool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.