Hot Rod Forum banner

Bought New Compressor

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  firebird_red 
#1 ·
Okay, I did it. I went out today and bought a new compressor. I wasn't going to buy one this soon but I got a 10% off on Lowe's card in the mail and decided to go ahead and just do it. They think I'll make up the difference paying interest but I won't. I'll pay it off before the interest comes due. I wasn't going to buy a compressor this big but after reading everything on this site about them I went ahead and got the big one. It is a 7.5 hp (5 hp running) Kobalt with an 80 gal. tank. It is a 2 stage that puts out 17.1 scfm @ 90 psi and 15.something at 175 psi. The motor pulls 22 amps. It cost 717.30 plus tax. I sure didn't want to spend that much but will probably be glad of it for several years to come.

Now I've got to wire it up and plumb it up before I can use it. Did I mention that I sure didn't want to spend that much but will probably be glad of it for years to come.

Danny

#3 ·
Don't use PVC

Danny,

I see you are fairly new here so I thought I would mention this in case you haven't read about it on the forum yet.

Don't plumb your compressor with PVC.
PVC is not recommended for air. Not sched. 40, not sched. 80, and not CPVC.

There's lots of info on why and what you should use. Do a search. You will find a lot of interesting information.

Roger

#6 ·
I plumbed mine in with 1" galv. Probably don't need the 1" size, but it allows for more surface area to let the compressed air cool prior to entering the water trap. I get nice dry air. Also, if you haven't done it, pipe in a down leg to catch any water prior to teeing off to the regulator and water trap. I know quite a few guys that have ran L-copper also which works nice.

#7 ·
Wow!! I did a search and came up with so many opinions on what material to run and how to run it. I guess it's like a lot of other things, different strokes for different folks. I know that you can do some things different ways and still be correct. I guess I'll read some more and try to make up my mind how I'll do it.

Danny

#9 ·
I've been putting together a dual purpose compressor. One function is to puff some air supplementing the regular shop air while at the same time knocking a pant size off of Mrsmilo.

Thinking of useing copper..Another concern is keeping the ole lady pumping fast enogh so the splash luberacation can be effective. :thumbup:

Attachments

#10 ·
milo said:
I've been putting together a dual purpose compressor. One function is to puff some air supplementing the regular shop air while at the same time knocking a pant size off of Mrsmilo.

Thinking of useing copper..Another concern is keeping the ole lady pumping fast enogh so the splash luberacation can be effective. :thumbup:

Thats cruel... hahAHAHAHHAHAHHA..

#12 ·
I priced some L type copper today and it really wasn't as expensive as I thought it was going to be. I think copper would eliminate the possibility of corrosion entirely. I researched every post that I could find. Are there any negatives about the copper except maybe not quite as tough as black or galvanized pipe. I've sweated in quite a few copper joints so I don't think that will present a problem. My garage has about a 9' ceiling so I should be able to keep it out of harm's way. Any criticism or thoughts on using copper is more than welcome. I want to do it right.

Thanks,
Danny

#13 ·
I used type L for my air supply lines. Slope the pipe enough to drain condensation, and put a valve for draining it. Taps should go up before going down so water doesn't dribble into your tools. The taps would be sort of like an up side down sink trap.

I recommend you don't spray paint with your new compressor until the rings have seated. They pump a good bit of oil when brand new. Change the oil early for the first interval too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.