Hot Rod Forum banner

Boxing 1932 Ford Frame

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  BinderRod1939 
#1 ·
Hi, does anyone have any knowledge when it comes to the strength of the aftermarket rails for a 1932 ford? I am planning on ordering a set of rails through Speedway and building my own chassis (American Stamping I think). But, I was wondering if I need to box the whole frame, just box the frame where I'll be putting the necessary mounts (engine, crossmembers, 4-bar mounts, center-x, etc.). I will not be running more than 400 horsepower (in fact probably more like 300), rear triangulated 4-bar w/coilovers and a dropped front axle. I was planning on putting in additional bracing through the rails at the rear (over the axle) and in the engine compartment (engine mounts). Any thoughts on this?

#2 ·
Me thinks you will have to fully box the frame in order to get the required strength. The frame on my 34 is aftermarket and it is fully boxed about four inches from the front to about four inches in the rear. The metal they make these frame rails from is fairly thin, less than 3/16" in some cases. Any boxing will be beneficial though.

Henry Ford designed the frames to flex, in order to account for the conditions of the roads at the time. Also Henry was not putting 400hp engines in either.

You can purchase a complete frame boxing kit that has all the plates cut to shape.

Vince

#3 ·
:D

I would strongly suggest BOXING the frame..........from the front crossmember to the rear crossmember.

Especially if you have a roadster or repro body. If your are using a original Ford closed car body...........it adds a LITTLE strength to the chassis but not much.

I had another steel original Ford 32 roadster prior to the one I have now and the frame was boxed just from the cowl to the front crossmember :( ......and it would flex enough to pop the doors open when crossing a rail road track or a speed bump.

You will need to weld nuts inside the frame wherever you plan to bolt anything prior to boxing the rails...........

DEUCE......

#4 ·
Boxing 32 Rails

Sodas38,

I recently used Speedway rails and boxed them all the way. Actually, I cut them off ahead of the rear axle hump and stepped the frame with 2x4 tube from there to the rear. You can see the project at http://img57.photobucket.com/albums/v174/Threebytheknee/

I would recommend spending a lot of time flattening the top and bottom of the Speedway rails prior to boxing. They are far from right angles to the sides and a bit wavey here and there. I found this out after boxing had started. I used 1/8" steel (same as the frame rails, actually 11 gauge) to do the boxing. Takes some time but makes her strong.

Regards,

#5 ·
When you box your frame and you forgot to weld nuts to the inside of the frame you can go to Fastenall and get weld nuts. They are about 2" long and 3/4" tall and have a threaded hole of your choice in the center. Mark your hole on the outside and drill a hole large enough that the threaded part of the weld nut will fit in the hole. The weld nut will only be a 1/16" thick on the side of the frame.
I boxed the frame on my 39 International and as usual forgot some places that I needed to bolt parts on.
When welding nuts on the inside rails use flange nuts because they have a larger area to weld to. Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.