Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Boxing Question (again)
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 03:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty duck
I am considering buying a MIG welder to use on an early ford project. Will a wire feed welder be a good choice for boxing the frame as well as body patches? I understand some jobs require a gas bottle while others need wire with flux. As you can tell, I do not know much about this at all, but want to learn. What suggestions do you have for the unit I should purchase for what I have mentioned?
Thanks
Couple of things you need to think about buying a MIG...make absolutely sure it will weld the metal thickness you anticipate using, in other words don't buy a 100 amp MIG when you might need 200 amps.
The little MIG is great for sheet metal but not terribly practical for anything heavy.
I am of the opinion that bigger is what you will need, so buy the right machine first time out. Is this the voice of experience? Oh yeah, dammit.
Next, you are likely better off using gas instead of flux wire as it will be more versatile. Costs more, but it's one of those things that you get what you pay for.
I would suggest that you visit weldingtipsandtricks.com to learn a ton more. Jody gives all the information away freely and if you can't find what you want there it doesn't exist.
Good luck. Yep, another retired guy here too...just up the road from you in B.C.