Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Interior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/interior/)
-   -   Bra Material (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/bra-material-128843.html)

klock 11-25-2007 02:49 PM

Bra Material

Can anyone give me the trade name of the fleece lined vinyl that car bras and helmet bags are made from? Thanks in advance. K

DanTwoLakes 11-26-2007 08:19 AM

Hi, and welcome to Hotrodders.com. I've heard it called "fleece lined" or "fabric back", and there is no one trade name for the material. It is not specifically designed for bra applications. All the major manufacturers of vinyl, like Spradling, Boltaflex, Naugahyde, and Morbern make a version of it. It is generally a lighter weight vinyl of lower quality. ( vinyl is graded by weight per linear yard, the lower the weight , the lesser the quality) I don't ever use it because it is lower quality. If you are intending to make a bra, I would suggest you find a vinyl with a 100% cotton backing. The backing on some vinyls can wear the car's finish.

klock 11-26-2007 08:23 AM

Thanks Dan, I knew if anyone had an answer it would be you! Once again, Thanks!
K

DanTwoLakes 11-26-2007 11:53 AM

Are you going to make a bra? If you are, you might want to make it out of a fabric that is 100% polyurethane, like Ultraleather. That would probably last a lot longer than any vinyl and keep it's color longer also.

klock 11-26-2007 12:12 PM

No. Covers for static equipment stored in/on fire engines.

DanTwoLakes 11-26-2007 12:32 PM

You might want to make covers like that out of a woven acrylic (like Sunbrella) or a woven polyester (Topnotch by Marchem Coated Fabrics). Mainly used in boat covers, both of those fabrics are oil and gas resistant, UV stabilized, soil resistant, breathable and water repellent. The Topnotch is super stuff, but both that and Sunbrella should be cut with an Engle hot knife to keep it from fraying.

klock 11-26-2007 12:39 PM

Sunbrella was my thought but the lined vinyl was what they asked for. I can steer them in another direction, but, that's why I asked! K

DanTwoLakes 11-26-2007 02:57 PM

klock: Check your private messages.

Dan

pasadenahotrod 12-05-2007 06:40 PM

oh my oh my oh my

klock 12-06-2007 02:30 PM

Did you even read the thread d*#khead?

57Fairlane 12-06-2007 04:34 PM

Hey Klock, You want a product called "Odyssey Soft Touch", I've used it a few times for similar projects, etc. Its not a vinyl but a acrylic and is fleeced backed, good quality product. I know my supplier has it (J.Ennis), where you can get, I couldn't tell ya. IF your stuck, let me know, could help acquire some.

Chevrolet4x4s 12-06-2007 05:07 PM

Klock, I can seriously see this hitting the fan and resulting in a ban.
Shane

klock 12-06-2007 06:33 PM

Thanks to the guys who gave considerate, experienced, well-informed input. I apologise to Dan, who went completely out of his way to help me, for causing any unpleasentness in his dominion. If my reply to an imbecile, who has since edited his original post, was too harsh or troubling for some of you I apologise

All I was looking for was a trade name for a product. I'm not a hotrodder per-se, but if you need an answer you go to the experts.

The question was asked in good faith and a good faith answer was expected. I don't recall asking for an opinion on vehicle bra's, pro or con. I was just looking for a product.

If the mods feel it prudent to ban me, so be it, but, if it swims like a duck and quacks like a duck then it's probably a duck! (read: duck=said imbecile)

poncho62 12-06-2007 06:45 PM

Interior forum, being Dan's domain makes it his call..........I didn't see the edited post by said "d***head"..............

Just glad I didn't respond with........"Bras, I like the lacy ones"............. :D

DanTwoLakes 12-07-2007 08:33 AM

I saw the post by pasadenahotrod and thought the same thing that klock did......that he hadn't read the original question and his input was neither of value or well thought out. I assumed he was going for humor that klock didn't see or appreciate, so I just left his post alone. Klock's response to him was a little extreme, but it was automatically edited by the board's software before anyone read it. Since then, pasadenahotrod edited his original post. I don't see a reason to ban anybody, and I think klock's apology is enough for me. In the future, let's not respond with expletives directed at other members to an unappreciated post, or post something that isn't the tiniest bit relevant to the thread.

And, on a lighter note, Odyssey Soft Touch is available here: http://www.sailrite.com/Odyssey-Soft-Touch-Grey for $18.50 a yard 60" wide.