Hot Rod Forum banner

Bra Material

3K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  klock 
#1 ·
Can anyone give me the trade name of the fleece lined vinyl that car bras and helmet bags are made from? Thanks in advance. K

#2 ·
Hi, and welcome to Hotrodders.com. I've heard it called "fleece lined" or "fabric back", and there is no one trade name for the material. It is not specifically designed for bra applications. All the major manufacturers of vinyl, like Spradling, Boltaflex, Naugahyde, and Morbern make a version of it. It is generally a lighter weight vinyl of lower quality. ( vinyl is graded by weight per linear yard, the lower the weight , the lesser the quality) I don't ever use it because it is lower quality. If you are intending to make a bra, I would suggest you find a vinyl with a 100% cotton backing. The backing on some vinyls can wear the car's finish.

#4 ·
Are you going to make a bra? If you are, you might want to make it out of a fabric that is 100% polyurethane, like Ultraleather. That would probably last a lot longer than any vinyl and keep it's color longer also.

#6 ·
You might want to make covers like that out of a woven acrylic (like Sunbrella) or a woven polyester (Topnotch by Marchem Coated Fabrics). Mainly used in boat covers, both of those fabrics are oil and gas resistant, UV stabilized, soil resistant, breathable and water repellent. The Topnotch is super stuff, but both that and Sunbrella should be cut with an Engle hot knife to keep it from fraying.

#11 ·
Hey Klock, You want a product called "Odyssey Soft Touch", I've used it a few times for similar projects, etc. Its not a vinyl but a acrylic and is fleeced backed, good quality product. I know my supplier has it (J.Ennis), where you can get, I couldn't tell ya. IF your stuck, let me know, could help acquire some.

#13 ·
Thanks to the guys who gave considerate, experienced, well-informed input. I apologise to Dan, who went completely out of his way to help me, for causing any unpleasentness in his dominion. If my reply to an imbecile, who has since edited his original post, was too harsh or troubling for some of you I apologise

All I was looking for was a trade name for a product. I'm not a hotrodder per-se, but if you need an answer you go to the experts.

The question was asked in good faith and a good faith answer was expected. I don't recall asking for an opinion on vehicle bra's, pro or con. I was just looking for a product.

If the mods feel it prudent to ban me, so be it, but, if it swims like a duck and quacks like a duck then it's probably a duck! (read: duck=said imbecile)

#14 ·
Interior forum, being Dan's domain makes it his call..........I didn't see the edited post by said "d***head"..............

Just glad I didn't respond with........"Bras, I like the lacy ones"............. :D

#15 ·
I saw the post by pasadenahotrod and thought the same thing that klock did......that he hadn't read the original question and his input was neither of value or well thought out. I assumed he was going for humor that klock didn't see or appreciate, so I just left his post alone. Klock's response to him was a little extreme, but it was automatically edited by the board's software before anyone read it. Since then, pasadenahotrod edited his original post. I don't see a reason to ban anybody, and I think klock's apology is enough for me. In the future, let's not respond with expletives directed at other members to an unappreciated post, or post something that isn't the tiniest bit relevant to the thread.

And, on a lighter note, Odyssey Soft Touch is available here: http://www.sailrite.com/Odyssey-Soft-Touch-Grey for $18.50 a yard 60" wide.

#22 ·
Yup, 100% it is, done front covers for vehicles being towed, etc. with it, its the best material thats soft back Ive seen.
Top gun is good, Polyester is the strongest, but outdated as its vat dyed which makes it to rigid and not the nicest to look at, handle,color can flake, etc. I mainly use Top Notch now, polyster as well but solution dyed, so it looks, feels, breaths like sunbrella, but isn't crap like sunbrella (fades, STRECHES, looses waterproofing after a few years, is weak, etc,etc, etc).

#23 · (Edited)
pmeisel said:
Some of the boaters i know use a material called Top Gun -- similar to Sunbrella but tougher.
Top Gun is an inexpensive 100% polyester fabric, but it is not breathable. For things that are going to be enclosed for a length of time, especially things that may be wet when put away, this may create a problem, and that is why I suggested woven (breathable) fabrics like woven polyester and woven acrylic. Top Notch is woven polyester, which is the equivalent of woven acrylic but less expensive. The Odyssey Soft Touch was the perfect combination of breathable acrylic fabric and soft backing. I had never heard of the Odyssey before, so I learned something today also.

BTW, 57 fairlane, If you had a problem with Sunbrella, it was not true Sunbrella. Sunbrella is a woven acrylic, and does not lose it's color. I recently repaired a bimini top that was 10 years old. I ordered the original Sunbrella fabric and it matched the 10 year old fabric perfectly. The original top was perfect in every way except for mouse holes. I don't know of many fabrics of any kind that are in that good of shape after 10 years.

#24 ·
Acually, Top Notch is more expensive for me then sunbrella, by a few dollars a yard. Ya, sunbrella does hold its color good, now that I think about it, But I still won't use it for the other reasons, "bagging" out being one of the biggest, make sure you use adjustable poles with sunbrella. A nice snug cover will be loosy after a year. Fake sunbrella? is there such a thing?

#25 ·
klock said:
Well, now that I know that, try this one $#@^&&&*&^%$%#$%......just kidding! Have a good weekend. K
Dude: You have a warped sense of humor, but you are humorous nonetheless. Wrapped a little tightly, but humorous. I bet you never expected all this hullabaloo over your original post, did you?

#26 ·
57Fairlane said:
Acually, Top Notch is more expensive for me then sunbrella, by a few dollars a yard. Ya, sunbrella does hold its color good, now that I think about it, But I still won't use it for the other reasons, "bagging" out being one of the biggest, make sure you use adjustable poles with sunbrella. A nice snug cover will be loosy after a year. Fake sunbrella? is there such a thing?
I agree that Sunbrella bags like you say, that's why I have switched to Top Notch which is the same price for me as Sunbrella anyway. The only problems with Top Notch are its limited color selection, and it needs to be cut with an Engle hot knife to stop the raw edges from fraying. Sunbrella has 100's of colors, patterns, and weaves. Sunbrella is solution dyed woven acrylic, and it's been around forever, so I'm sure there are pretenders out there that are lesser quality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.