Bracket Racing FWD Regal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Footbraker

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bracket Racing FWD Regal

I been bracket racing my 01 Regal GS recently and wondering if anybody had some pointers. I have been bracket racing street cars off and on since 1992, so I'm not a complete newb to the track but this is my first fwd. I would prefer another S10/V8 combo but for now it's gonna be the regal. Modifications to the car are simply a gutted airbox and u bend/resonator delete.

May 16 09
I was running on street tires this day and the 60' times really show it.
DA's ran from 500' to -200' later on.
Was running on 95 octane E30.
Drive around the water box, clean the tires, deep stage and leave on last yellow. I was loading the car to 1100 rpm +/- and fighting with my R/T's though I did cut a perfect light the first round of test. It seemed to help if I didn't preload it much, less likely to red light.
It was so windy that they decided to run the eliminations 1/8 mile so the fast cars wouldn't have any problems at the big end.
I got down to six cars and they tell me if I win that round I will have the bye run next round. Sounded good to me so I mess it up by finding some traction and breaking out. It may be time to try some stickier tires.

time slips below, car #F604

May 23rd
I picked up some G60-15 american racers (aka McCreary) and wheels from a LeSabre to use at the track. DA was over 3000' and the wind was gusting from various directions.
I was mainly focused on R/T's but my car wasn't very consistent that night - I'm thinking I heat soaked the motor on a couple runs.
Ended up breaking out first round, I was late getting on the brakes and it was hard to tell if my opponent was going to catch me or not (56 mph difference in trap speeds). At least the tires worked nice even if the 60's are slow.

time slips below

12 June 09
I was a bit on the tired side as my crappy R/T's show but I think I finally got a lid on the car being inconsistent. DA was approx. 1800'. I lost first round by sleeping at the tree.
Notice my third pass, timers said I picked up .4 from the 60' to the 1000' but ran the same ET&mph as all the other runs. Had to be a timer problem because I would've felt if the car launched that much harder. Looks like the car in the other lane had the same funky looking numbers.

time slips below

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2009, 09:14 PM

Last photo:

I don't like deep staging you don't know where you are in the beams and that messes up your 60' times and so on.

Every time I have BR a rental I flicker the bottom stage bulb just like in my dragster and then leave off of the middle bulb either when it comes on or when it is going out one or the other depending on the car. Try it and see if it works for you. Also if the top bulb is messing with you put a blinder in the car so all you see is the center bulb. This makes it like racing on a pro tree you see a flash and you react instead of anticipating the bottom bulb comming on after you see the top two.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Footbraker

Last photo:

I hear you about not liking to deep stage. I have tried the leaving on the second bulb before and did a lot of redlighting, though I haven't tried it with this car yet.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.