Brainstorm 13" Front Brakes... 70's Ford - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2005, 10:53 PM

Last journal entry: 1978 Mercury Cougar Xr7 Cruiser Project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Brainstorm 13" Front Brakes... 70's Ford

I've referenced here.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/disk-brake-conversion-64-galaxie-34753.html??highlight=galaxie

Many of the Galaxie boys are using the spindles from the midsized Fords (73-79) Torino/Elite/Cougar, etc.. to get 11" Front discs on their cars. (referred to here on after as the Torino Spindle). Two issues.
1. I have a 78 Cougar with these discs.
2. I want bigger than the 11. Like, say, 13"

We had been discussin this off and on on this forum (at least I remember my posts, lol). About making up brackets, and then machining down hubs to clear a rotor. Then I saw these!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/65-73-Mustang-13-COBRA-DISC-BRAKE-CALIPER-BRACKETS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34199QQitemZ45 92044516QQrdZ1

Now.. Here comes my onslaught of questions.
1. It stands to reason, that if the Torino spindle fits on the Galaxies, by removing 1/8" of material from the top edge of the tie rod opening on the spindle... couldn't I bolt on drum brake spindles to my car, and simply use a 1/8" washer?

2. Once there... Are Ford front drums pretty much 'universal' from the 60s/early 70s? I'm a youngin', the oldest I've owned was 72, and even that was disc brakes.

My thinking is, use galaxy spindles/hubs/bearings... with those brackets... and continue on there.

Comments? Am I crazy?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2005, 12:00 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psquare75

Now.. Here comes my onslaught of questions.

1. It stands to reason, that if the Torino spindle fits on the Galaxies, by removing 1/8" of material from the top edge of the tie rod opening on the spindle... couldn't I bolt on drum brake spindles to my car, and simply use a 1/8" washer?

2. Once there... Are Ford front drums pretty much 'universal' from the 60s/early 70s? I'm a youngin', the oldest I've owned was 72, and even that was disc brakes.

My thinking is, use galaxy spindles/hubs/bearings... with those brackets... and continue on there.

Comments? Am I crazy?
The last year of front drum on the intermediate was 1971, which had different spindles than the 72/.

I see what you are saying though. Use the hub from a drum brake system.

They both use the same inner and outer bearings, so you would just have to verify bearing spacing on the spindle and proper hub offset to mount the later disc. Most likely it will still come down to fabricating a hub and/or caliper mount.

You're always thinking aren't you?

Quote:
DISC BRAKE CALIPER BRACKETS

65-73 Ford Mustang 13" COBRA DISC BRAKE CONVERSION BRACKETS

Fits Original V8 Drum Brake Spindles and Hubs!!!

This is for those running larger wheels on their Mustang.

Don't spend alot of money to upgrade your drums to the 11" diameter factory stock discs when you can install these for about the same money and have HUGE STOPPING POWER !!!

The difference in stopping power and fade resistance between these brakes and original Mustang 11" factory disc brakes is phenomenal !!!

This auction is for a one pair of right and left caliper brackets to retrofit 13" Cobra rotors and 94-04 calipers to a 65-70 Mustang drum brake spindle.

BRACKETS ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you need new grade 8 bolts, add $20 at end of auction for 8 bracket mount bolts and 4 caliper bolts. Bracket bolts have correct "grip length", not just off the shelf hardware store bolts.

You must supply hoses, calipers, rotors, drum brake 5 lug hubs and correct drum brake spindles, master cylinder for disc brakes and a proportioning valve.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/65-73...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-29-2005, 12:03 AM

Last journal entry: 1978 Mercury Cougar Xr7 Cruiser Project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I figured it ended in 71, I wasn't sure.

Does it make logical sense that the Galaxie drum spindle would fit? This would eliminate 90% of the work necessary to get the larger brakes on (machine down a rotor to make a hub, AND the face, AND using longer wheel studs, doesn't seem much fun).

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.