Hot Rod Forum banner

Brak Shoes Wont Retract

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  KULTULZ 
#1 ·
Hey Gearheads I have ford drum brakes on the rear of my street rod.I have a 10 lb valve . My problem is that the front shoe wont retract after i release the brakes.All spring are right.

#5 ·
Just one shoe

Its only the front shoe on both sides.I am not running a emergency brake.The ford brakes has a speader bar between both shoes for the emergency brake.If this bar is missing would that cause the shoes from not returing?I dont know if i have the right spings in the right spots.does anyone know if there is a good diagram showing the sring layout?I have two yellow springs on top and one blue on the bottom. Hope you can help.

#6 ·
This is an assembly illustration of a FORD rear drum brake assembly. This is for self-adjusting. It has to be assembled in this fashion to work correctly.

Do you know about what year the assembly is off of? There may also be an additional spring that runs between the bottom of the shoes to keep the adjuster in place.

-Courtesy of AUTOZONE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.