Brake bleeder screw breakage :( - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009, 01:32 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Brake bleeder screw breakage :(

302 Z/28 broke his on the wilwood calipers a while back... I read that thread.

I dediced to try to use easy outs, and if anyone knows what size to get for a 1996 Jeep Cherokee (probably universal with all Jeeps of the era with the dana 30 front axle, and supposedly they have brakes that interchange with FoMoCo), let me know.

Any tips or advice is appreciated.
-Matt

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2009, 01:51 PM
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Yep, never did get that one out. It is now sitting in a box on a shelf in the garage. Had to order a new one to the tune of almost $200 if I remember correctly. Good luck with yours.

Vince
Old 07-31-2009, 01:56 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleSS_LS6

Any tips or advice is appreciated.
-Matt
Rebuilt calipers for your Jeep start at $15 at Rock Auto. You probably paid more than that for the Easy Outs.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Rebuilt calipers for your Jeep start at $15 at Rock Auto. You probably paid more than that for the Easy Outs.

Rock Auto rocks. No doubt about it.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:35 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last photo:

I just don't want cheap crappy rebuilt parts that'll let me down in 6 months lol...
I did get a nice heavy duty modine (whatever they call it now) radiator for the Jeep about 6 months ago for about $200 on the doorstep. That's a good price.

I also get a discount at Napa. I'll see what they have to offer tomorrow.

Should I go 'by the axle' with these?
Old 08-01-2009, 04:54 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Not the cheapest way, but a good machinist can get the remains out and chase the threads to like new.

Trees
Old 08-02-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleSS_LS6
I just don't want cheap crappy rebuilt parts that'll let me down in 6 months lol...
I said that they START at $15. You pays your money and you takes your choice.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:39 PM

Last photo:

caliper

dont think you can go wrong with rebuilt parts. the calipers have new pistons and new seals. the only thing used over is the housing
Old 08-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last photo:

NAPA's regular price was a little over Rock Auto, but I didn't calculate shipping, and with my discount I scored the 'good' ones for about $22.50 each.

Core price was insane on those though, about $50 a pop. At least I'll get the core price back

I wonder if RA does core returns and stuff, as I purchased only a radiator from them to date. Their service from those wondering- is really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I said that they START at $15. You pays your money and you takes your choice.
I got the 'good' ones. I recommend everyone else gets the 'good' parts, as replacing a part every year or two gets old really fast. Some parts like U-joints the 'good' ones are solid, non-serviceable ones though, and the 'cheap' ones are serviceable (internal machining means it's not as strong) but are probably better for the long run. That paragraph may just have opened a can of worms.

-Matt
Old 08-03-2009, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

Rock Auto does core returns, depending on the part. The extra shipping and hassle is something to consider, but I really like their site and prices.
I just bought a radiator from them. Sometimes they have "warehouse closeouts" of parts at even lower prices. I don't understand why they have these closeouts, but I'm not complaining.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:51 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

usually there is no core charge from Rock Auto..

but you need to look at every available listing for the part you need, often they will have " closeouts " of parts.. I got a " Closeout " of Raybestos wheel cylinders. they had the same P/N in a non closeout listing also and they were like $15 with a 1yr warranty.. I got them for $2.15 with a 30 day warranty

and they offer the most stuff for AMC's out of any company .. I went to my favorite local carquest ( friends with the owners ) to get strut rod bushings for my Rambler.. came up N/A.. got them for a '73 Gremlin as they would work the same, so that I could still get the part from them.. owner even penciled that into his book the '73 Gremlin P/N into the Rambler's listing
Old 08-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last photo:

/\ good to know about them and AMC. <I'm a Javelin owner.

I got the good reman calipers from NAPA core charge is $$$$$$$$$$$ but you get it back anyway, and it's on the road again. I think I need to bleed the brakes a little more, pedal feels firm, but is still 'squishy' like a foot powered bycicle pump under pressure.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
usually there is no core charge from Rock Auto..
I'm not sure what parts you're looking at, but I've found them to have core charges on the usual items. In fact, when I priced calipers for my Chevy truck, the core charge was $60 on a $30 caliper! I can only assume that they are counting on people forgetting to ship the parts back...

Quote:
but you need to look at every available listing for the part you need, often they will have " closeouts " of parts..
I have also taken advantage of this, but I'm beginning to suspect that these "closeouts" are damaged boxes and returned items being resold. For example, I just purchased e-brake cables for this same truck. The closeout cables were a fraction of the regular price, so naturally I got them. On one of the cables, the box was crushed, but the cable inside was still in it's original sealed package. On the other cable, the internal package had been torn open and the cable inside, though new, was not the correct one for that part number (it was about two feet two short). I called RockAuto customer service on Monday and I have already gotten an email noting that the replacement has been shipped.

One other thing to watch out for is the shipping location and price. If your order requires parts to be shipped from multiple warehouses, the shipping price goes up dramatically. One good thing is that if you already have items in your shopping cart, subsequent part searches will tell you if the items ship from the same or different warehouses. For example, when I bought those cables, I also bought some other items. The shocks I selected were not the least expensive, but because they shipped from the same warehouse, the total price with shipping was lower.

Finally, watch for shipping prices on heavy items. I ended up getting those calipers I mentioned at NAPA. This is a C30 and the calipers are quite heavy, so shipping from RockAuto ended up being expensive. NAPA was about $5 more per caliper, but even with sales tax the total price was less. Plus, the core charge was only $35 instead of $60, and I brought back the cores the next day.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I'm beginning to suspect that these "closeouts" are damaged boxes and returned items being resold.
There might be something to this. Perhaps these items are dug up, and found in warehouses.
I bought a few Raybestos brake wheel cylinders for my car at a good price.
One box was beat up and was an older style than the others. I opened it up to check the cylinder. To my surprise it was a diff cylinder that was used and rusty. Someone must have switched it on them.
I e-mailed them, and they quickly shipped me a new one.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrot
There might be something to this. Perhaps these items are dug up, and found in warehouses.
I bought a few Raybestos brake wheel cylinders for my car at a good price.
One box was beat up and was an older style than the others. I opened it up to check the cylinder. To my surprise it was a diff cylinder that was used and rusty. Someone must have switched it on them.
I e-mailed them, and they quickly shipped me a new one.
Yes, I have to say I am very impressed with their customer service. Here's an update to my e-brake cable story. I called them Monday morning to report the incorrect part. Tuesday the correct part was on my doorstep - they had paid for FedEx overnight on their nickel. As an aside, I had originally ordered the Dorman Products cables and had used the closeout specials. The first (incorrect) cable I received had a Raybestos box inside the Dorman box. The part number on the Raybestos box matched the P/N on the Dorman box, but that box had been torn open and had the incorrect cable inside. I at first attributed this to the problem, but the replacement cable had a Wagner box inside the Dorman box. The Wagner box had about ten years of dust on it (but it WAS the correct cable).

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.