Brake booster purchase / which one ?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2014, 04:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Brake booster purchase / which one ??

Are all the aftermarket brake boosters and master cyl. ? brake pedal assemblies ,. all the same ? I was told all are manufactured overseas .
Looking to install one on my 40 chevy Truck .
Thanks
Larry

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 05:01 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,146 Times in 945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old trucke View Post
Are all the aftermarket brake boosters and master cyl. ? brake pedal assemblies ,. all the same ? I was told all are manufactured overseas. Looking to install one on my 40 chevy Truck. Thanks. Larry
No, not all the same. What brakes are on the truck? What master cylinder?
Old 07-25-2014, 05:08 PM

Booster brake?

All Gm camaro70s brake rear drum, front is disc brake
Thanks larry
Old 07-25-2014, 05:17 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
All Gm camaro70s brake rear drum, front is disc brake. Thanks larry
OK, how about adapting a Camaro booster/master cylinder/pedal assembly from a boneyard?
Old 07-25-2014, 08:35 PM

Booster

No room , Want to mount brake booster and master cyl.under floor ,
Larry
Old 07-25-2014, 09:40 PM

Last photo:

Use a booster from a Fox Mustang with a late 90s F150 master cylinder. It will match up to the Camaro brakes, and will fit under the floor.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:53 AM

Booster

I want to use an aftermarket booster guys . I originally asked for info on the after market unit..
Larry
Old 07-26-2014, 06:22 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
I want to use an aftermarket booster guys . I originally asked for info on the after market unit..
Larry
ok.. I understand what you asked for,, but just, rear this..
oem parts.. even replacements.. will be better in the LONG run.. as you can call up any parts store in anytown USA and get the booster if it ever fails, and in the case of the parts listed as a choice above,, an f-150 master will always be an easy find..

now, there is nothing wrong with going with a aftermarket kit from a vendor that supplies the rodding hobby.. but they are not going to (99.99% of the time) tell you what the parts originally where sourced from.. this causes you to have to call them and buy the replacement from them.. and that's all well and good,, if the company is still open when you need that replacement part.. if you are hell bent on using an aftermarket kit.. I'd call stainless steel brakes
SSBC Performance Brake Systems

they've been around a long time.. there are others...
the hemmings site has a nice resource guide.. for venders..

good luck with whatever you choose..
you didn't go with willwood or baer brakes front and rear.. you have oem type.. and there is something to be said for being able to get the part when you need it.. over being cornered into calling JUST the vender..
pick your poison..
Old 07-26-2014, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

All the aftermarket boosters I have used were from off shore. Most of them China. I have used 20 or so from different vendors.

The Mustang booster is an 8" dual diaphragm booster and bolts to the same bracket as the aftermarket boosters.

The F150 master cylinder will also bolt to the aftermarket boosters, has a 1" bore, can be fitted with a remote fill, and comes with a 10 psi residual valve for the rear brakes.

Like he said, choose your poison.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:09 AM

Booster

Thanks for the input guys

I have picked up that they some of the vendors mention corvette master cyl. in there specs . Is that used because of the bore size ??.,
Larry
Old 07-27-2014, 02:18 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys

I have picked up that they some of the vendors mention corvette master cyl. in there specs . Is that used because of the bore size ??.,
Larry
Not sure about why Larry, my best bet would be that it just turned out that way because most of the aftermarket suppliers found that the Corvette unit would work well in a variety of applications, so they standardized on it. Self-builders saw that the professional shops were using the Corvette piece, so followed along. For most builds, a 7/8" or 1" diameter master would be called for. The larger the bore, the harder it will be to apply the brakes and the stroke will be shorter. Smaller bores will make leg effort easier, but will require a longer stroke to move the same amount of fluid.

As far as room under the floor, I would be thinking about using two smaller diameter cans in tandem. Two 7" units have been popular in the past. I've been out of building cars for the last several years, so I may not be up on the latest and greatest pieces to use, but judicious computer surfing will be your friend in this case.

To prevent having to rely on a vacuum pump to supply vacuum for your can(s), plan your motor build so that you can use a cam that will allow good vacuum at idle. I don't care who says what, power brakes need 20 inches of vacuum to operate properly. The guy who tells you that his brakes work at optimum with 14" of vacuum is probably telling you what he wishes, not what IS.

If your plan calls for a lumpy cam, perhaps you should be thinking about hydro-boost brakes instead of a conventional vacuum boost system. Just thinkin' out loud here Larry.

Last edited by techinspector1; 07-27-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:18 PM

booster

Not sure about why Larry, my best bet would be that it just turned out that way because most of the aftermarket suppliers found that the Corvette unit would work well in a variety of applications, so they standardized on it. Self-builders saw that the professional shops were using the Corvette piece, so followed along. For most builds, a 7/8" or 1" diameter master would be called for. The larger the bore, the harder it will be to apply the brakes and the stroke will be shorter. Smaller bores will make leg effort easier, but will require a longer stroke to move the same amount of fluid.

As far as room under the floor, I would be thinking about using two smaller diameter cans in tandem. Two 7" units have been popular in the past. I've been out of building cars for the last several years, so I may not be up on the latest and greatest pieces to use, but judicious computer surfing will be your friend in this case.

To prevent having to rely on a vacuum pump to supply vacuum for your can(s), plan your motor build so that you can use a cam that will allow good vacuum at idle. I don't care who says what, power brakes need 20 inches of vacuum to operate properly. The guy who tells you that his brakes work at optimum with 14" of vacuum is probably telling you what he wishes, not what IS.

If your plan calls for a lumpy cam, perhaps you should be thinking about hydro-boost brakes instead of a conventional vacuum boost system. Just thinkin' out loud here Larry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by techinspector1; Today at 03:26 PM.
Not going to much HP. 300 range . gonna be a driver . 20 inches of vacuum yes, log that one away, The two 7" cans, not sure about that
Ones listed are single and dual diapfram . More vaccumn from two ?
Not disputing what your saidjust trying to go the right route,Thanks TECH ,
Larry
Old 07-27-2014, 05:03 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post

many cars in the last 25-30 years came factory with a vacuum pump..
so the worry about vacuum from engine is only a junkyard crawl away..
ir go hydraboost and toss the booster..
Old 07-27-2014, 06:52 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
many cars in the last 25-30 years came factory with a vacuum pump..
so the worry about vacuum from engine is only a junkyard crawl away..
ir go hydraboost and toss the booster..
I would too.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:07 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

Quote:
The two 7" cans, not sure about that
Ones listed are single and dual diapfram . More vaccumn from two ?
Not disputing what your saidjust trying to go the right route,Thanks TECH ,
Larry
. The single diaphragm are thin and large diameter and prolly don't fit in your app. space... dual can/dual diaphragm are basically two smaller diameter boosters in series to get the diameter smaller (but unit longer) for same brake pressure as big ones to fit in tight diameter spaces... under the floor... or to clear tall valve covers... or to clear big block engines... or to clear crossram intake manifold carburetors...

. Like the guys said, a rebuilt OEM unit prolly never left the USA... readily available again in the future... dependable...

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.