Hot Rod Forum banner

brake conversion for a 1937 pontiac

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  30desoto 
#1 ·
Anyone out there know of a drum to disc conversion kit for the original 37 pontiac IFS. I am toying with the idea of keeping the front original but am trying to find out the cost to rebuild the suspension and convert the brakes. Also does anyone know of a kit to install a modern rack and pinion to the original IFS. I have a buddy with a 48 desoto and he found the rack kit from PLYDO, but I have not found anything for GM yet.

Thanks for the help

Rob

#2 ·
I don't know how much or if this may help you but here it is.....
25+years ago I found that early Nova rotors fit the 37 ford I was building,
and in 2004 I used the same thing(aftermarket) on the 39 Ply.Coupe (W/IFS)
I built .With the ford I had to just change bearings and with the 39 Ply. they
matched up just the inner seal had a larger OD.
As far as a R&P, I went with a late model GM and made my own mounts.
I ran into a few thngs that had to be changed in order for the steering to be
correct other than that it was a Big savings all around.

#3 ·
poncho help

you may have a hard time of that one, though I know there are a few late model gm spindles that will adapt to old spindle mounts by a little machine work............that's all I got.............by the way my old man has a 37 pontiac business coupe, that we installed a crate motor an dcorvette front suspension, that is a very nice setup!

#4 ·
Slight change in plans

Thanks to all for there input. I called the folks at Fatman Fabricationsand told them what I wanted to do. I planned on getting the lowered spindles from them along with some other misclaneous suspension parts. They strongly recommended that I not leave it stock. They had said that the front end was not designed to run with radial tires and would not be safe with the power from a V8 :nono: . They recommended a clip swap due to the akward shape of the front frame rails :confused:. I think they have the right idea but I was wondering what some other opinions were around here. Attached is a photo of front rails so you can see what I'm talking about.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.