Brake drum clank'n - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2002, 02:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Brake drum clank'n

About 2 years ago I had my lug bolts changed on my rear drivers side drum and since then I can jack up the back and move the tire in and out and it makes clanking noises, and also when I yurn a corner hard it makes the noise to.......What can I do to fix it? Do I have to get a flathead screwdriver and turn the gear inside the drum behind the wheel or what? I heard that you can tighten some drums by putting the car in reverse and backing up about 8-10 mph and lock up the brakes and it's supposed to tighten them up. I don't know. thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2002, 03:33 PM

Sounds like the whole drum and wheel is loose on the hub. Are you sure your lug nuts are tightening all the way onto the wheel, maybe the replacement bolts were too long. If you can move the tire in and out then that has nothing to do with the brakes.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:15 PM

Thanks I'll try to tighten them.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:20 PM

The lugs are tight.....I still don't know?
Old 10-30-2002, 12:43 PM

Last photo:

the lugs maybe tight on the studs but the studs may be too long to keep the wheel tight against the hub. thats what it sounds like. if your lugs are closed ended then they could be bottoming out on the stud instead of the wheel.
Old 11-01-2002, 05:21 PM

Well lessee. The backing up and stepping on the brake pedal performs an internal function in the brake that effectively, or actually adjusts that brake. You may also remove a rubber plug on the backing plate and by using a brake spoon or screwdriver manually accomplish the same purpose. Adjusting the brake shoes distance from the drum. The development of the automatic brake adjusting device has saved untold numbers of lives. In older days, A service station would assign the junior boy, and they were mostly high school boys on their first job, as a lube and oil change person. Adjusting brakes was a normal segment of this service and God Almighty alone knows how many screwed up, crossed up adjustments I alone turned out until there was enough experience to get it done right.

Now as to the lug nut question. You had the lug bolts changed two years ago. If the nuts have been loose this long the wheel would have ground five holes around the lug nuts big enough to drive your car through. No, You have a dfferential problem. The entire axle shaft is moving in and out. The board member most acquainted with the rear end in your car is Mr Morris. He can set you right up.
Old 11-02-2002, 04:46 AM

Thanks I appreciate it. SB
Old 11-02-2002, 06:48 AM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Excellent response slider. I've been waiting for someone to notice the 2 year thing and the unlikelyhood of driving a car for that long with loose lug nuts. I had a loose set on an old 390 cougar of mine and sheered all five studs off doing a holeshot when she hit second. And yes it is normal for an axle shaft to have a certain amount of in and out movement (not side to side or up and down) with the wheels off the ground because it's held in with just a c-clip. If she's making noises and it's not coming from the brakes (I don't attempt to diagnose noises from others interpretations) it very well could be an axle/bearing problem or a problem in the differencial itself but I can't say from here (it's all just guessing). I just find it amazing that supposedly it's been doing this for 2 years and you never had it checked.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.