brake drum stuck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2006, 06:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

brake drum stuck

I am putting a TCI mustang ii suspension on the front of my 49 chevy pickup.
I removed the brake lines and later tried to push the truck. The truck would not move very easy. Found out the back drum brake on one side is stuck.
I can't get the drum off. Any suggestion? is there such a thing as a drum remover.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2006, 11:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Try to back off the adjustment........it may be too tight or have grooves in the drum. I have had to cut the little shoe retainers from the backside of the backing plates before and remove the drum WITH THE SHOES.......just stuck to the drums......
Old 03-14-2006, 07:59 AM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

I use a 10 pound slide hammer to remove stuck brake drums, most of the time it works great.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:51 AM
Hows that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

go with deuce's suggestion , he is right , also is the emergency brake released?
Old 03-14-2006, 07:06 PM

I check the emergency brake. There is a small view window in back of drum but can't see or feel the adjuster.
Here comes the 10 pounder.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:47 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

Some brake drums are screwed on is yours like that? If it wont come off backing off the adjustment bring out the big hammer
Old 03-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

I run into stuck drum all the time at the shop. But they are usually stuck to the axle and not rusted to the shoes. Any how soak the hub to drum area with penetrating oil, let it sit for a few min take a good big hammer and hit the outside outer diameter of the drum HARD!!. It may pop lose has worked for me many times. If not..... deuces idea sounds good .
Old 05-07-2009, 08:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
Try to back off the adjustment........it may be too tight or have grooves in the drum. I have had to cut the little shoe retainers from the backside of the backing plates before and remove the drum WITH THE SHOES.......just stuck to the drums......
Ya need to know if the drums are stuck to the axle or wont come of because of a ridge in the drum that wont get past the shoes...as i saw previously noted try backing off the adjuster......If it is stuck to the axle..spray it with penetrant,like PB Blaster...wait a little bit....strike the drum sharply in several spots being careful not to hit the wheel studs....Dont be afraid to put a little muscle into it......
Old 05-07-2009, 11:19 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

There is an easy way to get stuck drums off the axel. All of us truck guys run into this sooner or later.

Jack the car up rest it on jack stands, block the front wheels, remove the rear wheels and loosly put the lug nuts back on. Start the motor and put it in forward gear. get up to 20-30 mph and slam on the brakes. Now go backwards at a good clip and slam the brakes. Usually a couple times will loosen even the most stubborn drum. My dually only took once each way and they had not been off in 220,000 miles.

Just make sure the lugs nuts are on or you may find the drum ripping down the street.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Certifiable Streetrodder

Last photo:

I just ran into the same problem with a boneyard 9" the shoes were actually rusted to the drums and the drums rusted to the axles!! I tried the penetrating oil,beating with a hammer,ect... the only easy solution I found always works on rust is the "hot wrench"!! Heat the drum, and the expansion will brake the rust on the axle, and then between the shoes and drums. You just need to get everything good and hot-NOT cherry red!! I did see the Eastwood catalog has a "drum puller" that looks very promising though!! I just caution not to "beat" too hard on the edge of the drum to try and get it off,you'll brake the edge off!! make sure the brake shoes are backed off, use penetrating oil, and heat-"It'll come off!!"

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.