Brake Flare Tool Compromise - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 04:20 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Brake Flare Tool Compromise

I bought a double flaring tool at a long time auto parts store and it's made in the USA. I thought that because it was made in the good ol' USA that it would be a decent one. I was flaring 3/16" line and about the 4th flare I did, the pin on the anvil broke off. I took it back to the store and they gave me another anvil. About the 6th flare I done, it broke too. Now being a redneck, I pondered on this situation and decided I could still make double flares with my broken anvil. I found a "nail", thats right, a nail that would go into the brake line, just like the anvil pin. I then cut the nail off about 3/8" leaving the head. The anvil is curved to make the bell on the line and the nail is flat so you have to form the nail head to the anvil on a scrap piece of line first. Using a piece of scrap line, I put the line in the line clamp, inserted the nail and then placed the anvil on top of the nail. Now this part takes some patience. Place the flaring tool as normal and lightly tighten it down on the anvil. Look at the anvil and make sure it is sitting even with the clamp all the way around. Now just tighten the flaring tool down until the anvil is tight against the clamp. Unscrew the flaring tool, remove the anvil and using a small screwdriver, pick the nail back out (it will come out fairly easy). Now place the flaring tool back on and perform the last step of the double flare. I know some of you may not approve of this but don't knock it until you try it. It works as well if not better than the original. If you have a broken anvil laying around, give it a try.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 05:23 PM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

Thats what we need !! Great ideas for when things go bad. I love those home-made tools. Got any other ideas we could use?

Got any suggestions for making the flair come out straight each time??
Thats my main problem with making brake lines. And thats my next project on this car.

Very Kool Tool !!
454 RATTLER
Old 03-25-2009, 06:38 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454 Rattler
Thats what we need !! Great ideas for when things go bad. I love those home-made tools. Got any other ideas we could use?

Got any suggestions for making the flair come out straight each time??
Thats my main problem with making brake lines. And thats my next project on this car.

Very Kool Tool !!
454 RATTLER

What I did was after I cut the line with a tubing cutter, I used a small drillbit in my cordless drill to debur the inside of the line. When you clamp the tubing in the clamp, make sure it is about 1/8" above the clamp or use the anvil as a height gage. I found using the "nail" method makes extremely straight flares, better than I got when using the new anvil. I think it has something to do with the nail head. Keep in mind that the nail I used had a head that was just a little bigger than the brake line, I am thinking maybe a #6 nail but I'm not sure about that. Just make sure the anvil is square with the clamp before compressing. Practice on a piece or two and you will be amazed at how the home made tool works. Do a couple and let us know how it works for you.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:21 AM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

Thanks for the info, S10. I'll be back at my project tomorrow. It'll be great if I can get your idea to work. Thanks again !!

454 RATTLER

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.