Brake instal question for beginner - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2003, 12:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Brake instal question for beginner

I am trying to instal new brake callipers on my 79 nova for the front disc brakes. i have been able to bolt them all up and they line up, however they seem to be very loose. Is there some sort of spacer that i need to buy? also, the bolts are on and they can still be screwed in but they just keep spinning, not going in any more. Does this mean i need new bolts?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2003, 01:00 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Once you have them bolted in place, with pads, just pump the brake pedal a few times. This will push the pads against the rotor and tighten them up. What you have is completely normal.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:49 PM

I know that they should be somewhat loose but i can move them about 1/2 orr 3/4 of an inch up or down. is that still normal?
Old 11-15-2003, 02:04 PM

I don't think it's "normal" for them to move THAT much. You mentioned in your first post that the bolts go in and just keep turning. This doesn't sound right to me. If the bolt is the correct diameter and length of thread it should stop when it bottoms or when the underside of the head makes contact and the subsequent clamping action occurs causing the bolt to load in tension. Recheck you hardware Tissue and report back.

Wheelsup64
Old 11-15-2003, 02:11 PM

Well before i check, let me clarify the bolt spinning issue. The bolt screws in like normal, and it also holds. but once it reaches the point where it doesnt go in any more it keeps turning but doesnt go it, so i guess it doesnt bottom out.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:51 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Either the bolts or the holes they thread into are stripped. The shank gets considerably wider between the heads and the threads (the part that the spacer rides on that I think you left out). But it's possible that the threads on the bolts are going past the threads in the holes because you left the spacer out. It's possible that the bolts are different on your particular model than 99 percent of Gm products of those years. If you don't figure it out, post pics, as I can see this would be pretty hard to explain without them.

I hope that didn't confuse you at all, cause I confuse myself sometimes trying to explain certian things on the compooter.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:12 PM

Last photo:

Did you lubricate the bolts where they go through the rubber O-ring in the sleeves? Sometimes the bolts will bind on the rubber and you'll think they're threading in, but actually they're just turning in the rubber. I'm assuming there are sleeves in the caliper holes, riding in O-rings, and having O-rings inside them for the bolt to ride in. If not, I imagine it would flop around quite a bit. If the sleeves & O-rings are there, put a light coat of silicone grease on the bolts where the rubber rides (shiny areas on used bolts), and push in when you turn the wrench. Or it could be stripped threads.

Whatever, do as Poncho62 said, & pump the brakes a few times before you drive the car. Otherwise, you'll be in for a rude surprise when you try to make the first stop, as the first pump or two will only take up the slack, & the car will keep going.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:20 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

I was thinking stripped threads and a caliper change was an attempt to remedy a problem with stripped threads on the knuckle itself. Of course pushing in while turning is one of those good 'ol common sense things that I never suspect someone is overlooking.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:17 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

hey tissue,

does the bottom side of the head of the bolt come in contact with the caliper?

Troy
Old 11-19-2003, 03:02 PM

Well i fixed the problem and it was kinda stupid. See i took off the calipers about a month ago and got new ones but didnt put them on that day and so i forgot a minor detail and that was that the bolts come through from the back and i was pushing them through the front, now my brakes work and im sorry for the trouble but thanks anyways.

Tissue
Old 11-20-2003, 04:24 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

That's how you learn, bud. You'll never forget that little detail now will you? Good job getting it figured out.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.