Brake issues - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 04:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Brake issues

So I finally test drove my 52 chevy around the yard.. its been about 12 years in the making. Anyway I have installed an under the floor power master cylinder. I installed a 2 pound resdiual valve in the front (Nova sub-frame with disc brakes). And a 10 psi resdiual valve and an adjustable porportioning valve in the rear. When I step on the brakes the front brakes want to really drag upon letting off the brake pedal, enough that the rear wheels will spin in the dirt. I have double checked the direction of my resdiual valve heading to the front and it is correct. Could a build of of surface rust on the front disc cause this? I installed the new rotors 12 years ago so they do have some surface rust on them. I have circled the house a few times and it may be getting better, just wondering your thoughts as to if I may have something else going on or something else to check?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 04:50 PM

Have you tried to adjust the porportioning valve?
Old 03-17-2013, 06:08 PM

Well the portioning valve is in the rear and they seems to be working ok.. Its not really a matter of the fronts grabbing to soon they do not seem to be releasing. If I understad what the port valve does I dont think it would have anything to do with that? but maybe Im wrong. The more I circle the house slamming on the brakes I think it might be getting better. I'm thinkning maybe there was some rust inside the caliper preventing the piston from coming back easily. When I get a little more gas I can drive it down the road and really let them work some.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:28 PM

Yes, if your calipers are that old, they are probably hanging up.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

How far away from the master cylinder is the residual valve? It should be kept fairly close to the master cylinder or you can end up building an unbalanced pressure in your brake line causing the problems that your experiencing. 2, 3 or 4 feet away is to far. Another thing you may want to check is the proportioning valve. It needs to a valve for the application. If your running disc up front and drum in the rear, you would need a different proportioning valve than all disc or all drum.

Hope this helps.

Ray
Old 03-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Cobra Pilot

I had a similiar problem with my Apache and found that the rubber flex line for the front brakes had swollen on the inside preventing the pressure to be released. Appling the brakes forced the lines open operating the front brakes but like I said, they wouldn't release. I could return the caliper piston into its bore with a c-clamp. New lines, fluid and a bleeding-good to go! Good luck.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:10 PM

Thanks guys for the ideas, I've heard of the rubber lines getting plugged as you described.. but those are actually new (in the last 2 weeks) so I don't think that's it. The r.p.v. are within 12-14" of the master cylinder, so I'm not ruling that out. I have not had much of a chance to really drive it down the road as we have had cold and snow and mud for the last several days. But the more I circled the house I think it may have got a little better so hopefully it was just crud in the calipers. I may be posting more once the weather clears up and I can actually test drive it. Thanks all for your ideas.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.