Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Brake Issues, C3 Corvette m/c Q's...
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Brake Issues, C3 Corvette m/c Q's...

Hi All,

I have always had poor braking on my Maverick. The car came with manual drum/drum brakes and I have since swapped to GM Metric front calipers (2.38" bore), Ford Racing 11 x 2 1/2 drums (7/8" bore) in the rear, and replaced the factory m/c with one for a disc/drum Grenada with 15/16" bore. This m/c has 1/2-20 and 9/16-18 ports and no rpv's so with the space constraints I have, I've used the appropriately sized banjo bolt fittings and rpv's. The car had a high, hard pedal and even standing on it, the brakes would never lock up.

So, yesterday I replaced the front calipers with 2.75" bore Wilwoods. Now my pedal goes to the floor unless I pump it a few times. Since everything has been bled, I'm ASSuming my m/c cannot keep up with the fluid requirements. I'm sure if I drove it, it would stop better (not gonna try it).

It appears that the 1" bore manual brake C3 Corvette m/c has the correct fitting sizes, can anyone verify this? Does this m/c have internal rpv's? It looks like a direct-fit swap so far and the extra capacity *should* allow the pedal to stay off the floor...

Russ