brake light problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2010, 09:14 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

brake light problem

Just installed LED tail lights on my truck and got them all wired up. Hit the brake pedal and ........... just the drivers side lit up. There is one wire coming from the brake switch, where does it tie the two sides together? In the column wiring harness or at the fuse box? this is a chevy column with an easy wire harness. I have 12 volts thru the brake switch obviously since the one side comes on but I'm not sure where the feed to the other side comes in. any help would be greatly appreicated. Thank you.

Barry

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2010, 09:19 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Power goes from the brake light switch to the directional switch and from there to the brake lights / rear turn signals which use the same bulb / filament .
Old 10-13-2010, 09:43 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfieldcars
Just installed LED tail lights on my truck and got them all wired up. Hit the brake pedal and ........... just the drivers side lit up. There is one wire coming from the brake switch, where does it tie the two sides together?
Barry
If the brake lights were working as they should before you started, I would ask why are you looking under the dash?

Seems to me that the smartest place to start is at the side that is not working and verify the wiring, leds are polarity sensitive.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:13 AM

Last photo:

The LED's are the only tail lights I've ever seen on this truck. This is a 48 chevy pu streetrod project. New wiring harness, new lights etc. To answer you Pepi...I did start at the back. But as I'm not installing individual led's I'm not too worried about polarity. there are 3 wires coming out of the light....ground, tail, and turn. I checked the ground first and it's good. I checked the voltage on the turn wire...0 (zero). So...now i'm in the cab where the fuse block is. I have 12 volts thru the brake switch. I just wasn't sure where exactly the wires got combined. I don't claim to be the smartest person around but I do have some ability. Adantessr...thank you for your reply....but does the feed for both sides happen at the harness or in the column? Thank you
Old 10-13-2010, 10:26 AM

Last photo:

brake light

Quote:
The LED's are the only tail lights I've ever seen on this truck. This is a 48 chevy pu streetrod project. New wiring harness, new lights etc. To answer you Pepi...I did start at the back. But as I'm not installing individual led's I'm not too worried about polarity. there are 3 wires coming out of the light....ground, tail, and turn. I checked the ground first and it's good. I checked the voltage on the turn wire...0 (zero). So...now i'm in the cab where the fuse block is. I have 12 volts thru the brake switch. I just wasn't sure where exactly the wires got combined. I don't claim to be the smartest person around but I do have some ability. Adantessr...thank you for your reply....but does the feed for both sides happen at the harness or in the column? Thank you

The Gm column connector is
White brake light switch Other side of brake light switch red to fuse panel
Dark green Right rear stop light and turn signal
Yellow Left rear stop light and turn signal
Purple turn signal flasher
Brown Hazard flasher
Dark blue Right front turn signal
Light blue Left front Turn signal
Black Horn ( Some Buick columns have a green wire, why I don't Know.
If you have had LED's before your flashers should be ok to use if they are good. If you have not had LeD lights on the truck before, you might have to get new flasher units. the brake light go through a cancellar, so that when you turn it causes the light to flash as turn signal

Last edited by 35terraplane; 10-13-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:43 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Terraplane answed your question . He has wired over 200 cars so if you have any other questions about wiring he will be happy to answer them .
Old 10-13-2010, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

brake light problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
Terraplane answed your question . He has wired over 200 cars so if you have any other questions about wiring he will be happy to answer them .
Allen you trying to get me in trouble. I can fix them if I know what they are using, but with those 200 cars most were GM color codes, but in over 30 years I have never seen a GM wiring diagram, they use too much stuff that street rodders don't want or need on or in their cars.
And who are you trying to kid saying you have only two electric plug ins, in your shop.

Bob
Old 10-13-2010, 02:42 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
Allen you trying to get me in trouble. I can fix them if I know what they are using, but with those 200 cars most were GM color codes, but in over 30 years I have never seen a GM wiring diagram, they use too much stuff that street rodders don't want or need on or in their cars.
And who are you trying to kid saying you have only two electric plug ins, in your shop.

Bob
Whoops , I was just trying to find you some work so you would have something to do between cruises . Just kidding . BTW My smilies don't work . :-( ... Okay , I confess . My garage (did) have only two outlets in the ceiling but I tapped into one and ran conduit and have four outlet boxes with two outlets each down one wall . I did not have any outlets on the other wall until I grabbed a 110 side out of my 220 switchbox for my compressor and installed one. So yeah . I can definitely do wiring . I just don't have any diagrams or remember the color codes . I did remember the green yellow and brown for the rear lights, but which side is green and which is yellow again . I don't do it enough to remember. I really don't need to know right now . Just making a point . Take care buddy ....Allan
Old 10-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Unlike regular bulbs most led lights need to be wired with the correct polarity as there is usually some electronics involved, You may want to try reversing the hot and ground on the one that doesnt work. Also have you tried swapping the bulbs to see if one is bad.

Dont overlook the simple stuff. You also could check at the socket connections while someone is stepping on the brake to see if there is power getting to the socket.
DOnt go tearing the car apart until you have checked the simple stuff.

Chet
Old 10-13-2010, 04:09 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Looking at the back of the bulb with the center terminal at the top . The left terminal is ground , the top terminal is tail light and the right terminal is brake and turn .
Old 10-13-2010, 05:57 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

Here is the wiring diagram.
See attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf gm turnsignals.pdf (55.2 KB, 57 views)
Old 10-13-2010, 11:15 PM

Last photo:

brake light problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicrod
Here is the wiring diagram.
See attached.
vicrod Thanks for the diagram, that is one part I guess you can say I have seen. That system is pretty much a given for all the different boards I would guess. Although I have been using an Enos board for over 30 years. I don't mess with the new cars, newest I have wired 1957 T-bird. I think we pretty much fixed cornfeildcars problem, I gave him the light connector color code on the column, he couldn't find which wire went where.

Thanks again Bob 35terraplane

Old 10-14-2010, 04:45 AM

Last photo:

Well guys I really appreciate all the answers but....I have no 12 volts to the green wire which is the passenger side turn/brake wire. I checked the voltage at the column harness that plugs into the fuse box harness and there isn't 12 there either. So...I'm assuming the 12 volts gets passed to the turn signal wires inside the column? The drivers side (yellow) works fine. So my next question would be how do you get inside the steering column? The column is from a late 70's chevy van.

By the way I did check all the simple stuff first. I'm all about simple...lol
Old 10-14-2010, 08:24 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

You will have to pull the steering wheel to gain access to the turn signal switch . If you don't have a puller , a lot of parts stores will loan one to you . The wheel is on a tapered spline and is best removed with a puller .
Old 10-14-2010, 09:17 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Here are a few links that you could use as a guide to get to the turn signal switch, you will need the puller and an installation tool. There is a snap ring that can be testy removing and installing, when installing make sure you have the plate down far enough to get that snap ring on, it will be close

This link will represent the inside of your column best
http://www.superchevy.com/tech/sucp_...umn/index.html

this link shows a good general overview of what to expect, some of the parts will look different but the removal is the same.

http://tss.likeabigdog.com/

Last edited by pepi; 10-14-2010 at 09:23 AM.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.