Brake light switch wiring... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Brake light switch wiring...

Okay fellas I found a lot of questions on brake light wiring but didn't see any on the brake light switch wiring. So here's my question. I'm trying to run my tail light wiring and I've procured a brake switchs from a late model firebird and with a little help they fit into my S-10 brake switch holder. Now my question is how do I wire them up? What are the wires for. I'm using an older EZ wiring harness that I traded some old DeSoto parts for and I also notice there are no wires for back up lights. Does that come off one of the switches? Heres my pic,HELP! Won't be too lojng I'll have the old 38 street legal.
There are 5 wires to the top switch and 2 at the bottom switch. Hope you can see it well enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brakewire.JPG
Views:	815
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	23940  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2007, 10:21 AM

Brake light switch wiring

The taillight wiring isn't connected to the brake light wiring.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last photo:

??????
So the tail lights are hooked up direct and the brake lights go through the brake switch?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:41 AM

Brake light switch wiring

Yes. Do you have 2 or 3 separate bulbs per side or one 2 filament bulb per side? (Not including the backup light bulb.) In any case the taillights and brake lights are wired separately. Maybe you're confusing the directional light/brake light wiring? In some applications the brake lights are tied into the directional light wiring if they use the same bulb or filament of a 2 filament bulb. I don't have any wiring diagrams for a 38 Ford or anything else for that matter. I think from here you'll need help from someone that does or has first hand knowledge of the EZ wiring harness. The backup lights are off of a separate switch. Did a 38 Ford have backup lights? You could always just wire in a toggle switch for the backups.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 special
??????
So the tail lights are hooked up direct and the brake lights go through the brake switch?

Doc here,

TAIL LAMPS..the ones that come on with the headlights, are wired from the headlamp SWITCH direct, and may or may not have a separate Fuse lead from the headlamp switch for fused power..

TURN SIGNALS / BRAKE LAMPS usually share a common, multiplexed switch within the column..Although, the turn signals and Brake lamps MUST share the same filament, both systems MUST be ISOLATED from one another..IF not, the result would be for instance, 4 way flash on ANY selected turn..front parkers when brakes applied..inability to define the difference between flash and stop when both are on..(same brightness!)

The Switch provides isolation by being multiplexed into 2 half switches..Left and right..Say for instance the selection is "Stop, Left turn..that 1/2 switch SHUTS OFF the LEFT rear brake lamp, but allows the Left REAR and FRONT to flash..same applies for the other side..When in "Center" the turns are reset or "Off" and the brakes are "ON" full time (when selected)

The Backup are simple, the switch (a lot of times a 2 part switch with Neutral safety switch) is usually found at the bottom of the steering column, top side..the BU pins will only have continuity in "R" and lamp and no other position..The NSS will have continuity between the "N" and lamp or the "P" connect your fused wire here, and run the other to the lamps. NSS requires you run the "S" wire from the IGN switch to it, then it to the "S" terminal on the starter.

Doc
Old 09-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last photo:

Thanks Ern I forgot to say my 38 DeSoto has but one bulb. I got rid of th 6 volt system of course and rewired an 1157 bulb for it.
Hey Docvette well I'm right on track with your synopsis. I just came in from outside and when I turn on my turn signal all my lights flash, just like hazard lights. In fact even my dash lights flash with it. What the hay????
The back up light thing helps, but now I realize I have to get backup lights since the old 38 never had any. Well back to the store. Thanks fellas I'm getting there, slow but sorrowfully.
I've got another question for you Doc. Do I need three wires for the front turn/parking light or can I do it with two wires? I think I need three, my son says I only need 2. I think his ol'dad is right.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last photo:

Got it! I had to enlist the help of a fellow rodder down the street. After watching him I get what your talking about a little more Doc V. I still have to get the back up light to work but I don't have one yet since the 38 didn't have such a light. Wire up the front parking lights and I can go street legal before long, CcooOOOooOoooOllll!!!!!
Old 09-13-2007, 07:25 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

buy how to wire your street rod

when my brother was working on his A V8 roadster ( now MY roadster) he bought the small booklet ...How to wire your street rod.... at sactamento vintage ford. ..it has lots of info about different columns alternators, etc a good basic book c overs gm Ford and mopar parts .
Old 09-13-2007, 07:53 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

you don't need reverse lights if you don't want them. unless your titiling as newer.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last photo:

Thanks Tim, soundslike a good book to have.
I know I don't need them but for safety reasons I'd like to have them. My next decision is seat belts. Yay, or nay?
Old 09-15-2007, 06:54 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

seatbelts YES

When I was In high school in the 50's,we built a olds powered 36 chevy coup and an olds 31 chrysler roadster. We had a blacksmith shop on the ranch, welder, tractor hay stacker (Like a big construction fork lift) a big pile of old equipment to scrounge iron from. most of the work us kids did on cars was at our place. A neighbor stopped by one morning and asked me to go to town about 35 miles away. He detoured off the main road a couple of miles and stopped at a wrecked hopped up A coupe. someone he knew had been killed the night before racing. the car wasn't in too bad shape but the the driver had been thrown out. The neighbors cousin was a dirt track racer and used jet aircraft shoulder-seatbelts. His coment was if he had been using seaatabelts he would have had only a few bruises. the neighbor wanted to impress the hazzards of racing and not wearing seatbelts. I bought belts and also put them in the crown vic As a plus I put the passenger seatbelt in the center so the girls would be setting closer.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.