brake light switch wiring - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2009, 11:13 PM
tjn/56nomad

Wiki Edits: 0

brake light switch wiring

Hey guys, I have an AAW harness in my streetrod that was partially "rigged". Can't get the brake lites to work. The switch has a white and blue wire connected to one side of the switch but nothing is connected to the other side. I can't seem to find an extra plug. Help please! Thanks, TJN/56NOMAD

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2009, 11:17 PM

I have found over the years that some models that have the brake light switch mounted on the pedal have wiring problems...

this is do to the swinging of the pair of wires with every brake application... eventually the wires will break...

when this happens.. the brake lights will not function.. on later models... the shift interlock will not release... except with the key only part way turned on . pulling the shifter to Neutral the car or truck will then start to get you home... but you may not have brake lights.... a lot cheeper than a tow truck...

to take care of the fatigued wires... stop at a radio shack... they sell small rolls of 19 gauge test lead wire ... replace the last 6 inches of both wires that run to the brake light switch with this super flex wire...

fully insulated crimp on terminals are also available... in both straight on... as every body knows about... but there are also fully insulated flag terminals available.. the wire comes out the back side... these come in handy for some applications where there is limited clearance..

oh... and one more... every once in a while... a car or truck will come along that the brake lights just don't come on with light pedal pressure... you really have to mash the pedal to get them to work... swapping out brake light switches really does not help much... putting a thin shim between the back of the brake pedal push rod and the inside of the switch usually fixes this... shim stock.... think a slice of soft drink can cut with scissors. pushed in... wiggled in. usually you have to gently rock the switch up and down to get it in.. bend the short ends over slightly to hold it in place.. but make sure the ends are not long enough to short out anything... in the years i have been fixing cars .. i have only needed to do this on 3.. but the customers were going out of their mind with late to work brake lights...

hope this tip helps some people...

here are some part numbers

conduct tite 85556 for red, straight on fully insulated connectors
conduct tite 84170 for red, flag fully insulated terminals

oops. just checked with radio shack... they don't sell the test lead wire in bulk rolls anymore... but some electronic stores may have some... i have seen it in 17 gauge and in 19 gauge ...odd sizes yes.. but it is very fine stranded wire..
__________________________________________________ ________________
www.wasserbettenhife.com
Manager Education
Old 05-23-2009, 02:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjn
Hey guys, I have an AAW harness in my streetrod that was partially "rigged". Can't get the brake lites to work. The switch has a white and blue wire connected to one side of the switch but nothing is connected to the other side. I can't seem to find an extra plug. Help please! Thanks, TJN/56NOMAD
The other terminal on the brake light switch should have an orange wire marked 'brake feed' that goes to the fuse panel. This is the power feed to the switch.

If it's a 'Highway 15' or 'Highway 22' wiring kit, there is a screw terminal for the brake feed wire on the fuse panel.

Hope this helps....

Joe G.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:01 PM
tjn/56nomad

No brake lights

Thanks Joe G! TJN

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.