brake light and turn signal wiring - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 07:01 PM

Last journal entry: t
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

brake light and turn signal wiring

tryin to wire up my brake lights and brake switch which is new, not currently mounted, the turn signals work and light up, ive been tryin to find the wire for the brake lights but can not trace it down. can i run a new wire from the fuse box to the brake switch and back to the lights. i know the turn signal and bake lights share the same wire at the rear brake lights. just curiouis if i can just run a new wire to the lights (which would be easier than spend another 2 hours tryin to trace down the wire) or would i be running into problems by doing this , Thank you, mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Last photo:

What kind of car are you working on

Vince
Old 10-26-2009, 08:26 PM

Last photo:

brake light and turn signal wiring

I don't know if this will help or not, but I was wiring my roadster and I could get my turn signals to work, but not the stop lights and vice-versa. I finally took the brake light switch wire and connected it to the 12 volt side of the flasher and now they work like a champ!!!! I did all the wiring from scratch using a GM steering column. I used a pressure type brake switch. Hope this is some help. You still really need to locate your brake switch since that is the only thing that will operate the lights. Your user name may be a clue (slammed '57), but normally, there is a switch attached to your brake pedal. Hope this helps.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:55 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed 57
tryin to wire up my brake lights and brake switch which is new, not currently mounted, the turn signals work and light up, ive been tryin to find the wire for the brake lights but can not trace it down.
See the diagrams below. They might help you trace the wire for the brake lights. The wiring will come from a 'HOT' source to the brake light switch and then to the directional signal switch. The universal drawing may help. The GM drawing is for later model connection block and may not be suitable for your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed 57
can i run a new wire from the fuse box to the brake switch and back to the lights. i know the turn signal and bake lights share the same wire at the rear brake lights. just curiouis if i can just run a new wire to the lights (which would be easier than spend another 2 hours tryin to trace down the wire) or would i be running into problems by doing this , Thank you, mike
Doing this will have both lights on when attempting to use the directionals. Will not work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	General Motors Column Connector.jpg
Views:	994
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	41578   Click image for larger version

Name:	signal-wiring-universal.jpg
Views:	1789
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	41579  
Old 10-28-2009, 06:25 PM

Last journal entry: t
Last photo:

thank you all . iam gonna try both advices , we'll see what happens

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.