Hot Rod Forum banner

Brake line components ?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Old Reb 
#1 ·
Folks, I have a 1950 Ford Sedan. I have installed a street rod engineering front clip with Mustang II front suspension. It has the 11 inch rotors and 82-91 GM calipers. The rear end is out of a 1974 Comet and is 8 inch with drum brakes. I have a 1990 master cyl and booster from a Bronco II mounted on the firewall. On the Bronco II the main line from the master cyl went straight to the front brakes. the other line off the master cyl went to the proportion valve and then to the rear brakes..I cannot use this valve because it is electronically controlled. Can I buy a new valve and do I need a residual pressure valve in the rear brake line ? Will this combination work?

#2 ·
Old Reb,

Check out ECI brakes at ecihotrodbrakes.com for more information than you can stand on the subject, but the short answer is you can use a manually adjustable proportioning valve with no ill effect...it's done all the time. ECI and many other vendors have these in stock for very reasonable prices.

As for the residual valves, you don't need residual valves unless the MC is mounted BELOW the level of the calipers or wheel cylinders. The purpose of a residual valve is to provide residual pressure on the line to prevent the brake line from losing prime.

George

#3 ·
brake line components

Thanks George..... Since I posted this I have talked with about 6 folks and got the same answer you gave. I have also looked at the site you suggested and Howstuffworks .com which also confirmed everybodys thoughts. Thanks Again! :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.