brake line lock as security measure? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2005, 10:10 AM
paints everything flat black

Last journal entry: September 2005 - Current
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

brake line lock as security measure?

Hey guys / (gals?)

Anyone ever installed a brake line lock as a security measure? Does this cause premature wear on brake caliper seals?

My friend's dad said he did this back in the 70's to keep people from towing his car... apparently he just couldn't pay his numerous parking tickets!

Anyways, just curious. Share your opinions!

The blonde weasel

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2005, 11:25 AM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

I can't say as I would do it.

Line lock works by activating a solenoid to hold line pressure to the front wheels. The solenoid uses power. It will kill your battery if you leave it turned on. Line lock is only used for 5 to 10 seconds at a time. They solenoid may not stand up to continuous use.

If you stick to parking where you suppose to. You wouldn't have to worry about getting towed away. Nothing peeves me more than people parking in no parking zones and disrupting traffic flow because they think their time is more valuable than mine.

Last edited by bracketeer; 02-18-2005 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:22 PM
paints everything flat black

Last journal entry: September 2005 - Current
Last photo:

okay... first off, I don't park in the middle of the street, this has nothing to do with people actually wanting to tow my car. the question is posed in theory only, so please don't take it personally.

is there such thing as a mechanical hydraulic line lock then? perhaps not specifically intended for this purpose, but able to be retrofitted to accept standard flared NPT fittings?
Old 04-04-2005, 02:34 PM

BrakeLock

Try this. Used this on a jeep to lock all four wheels when parked.
Broke into a couple of times, but never got stolen!

http://www.tsmmfg.com/Brakelock_System.htm

-Rick
Old 04-05-2005, 06:33 PM

HEY BL:

We had a 1948 Chevy pickup and did not have an emergency brake. We installed a hydraulic brake line lock in the brake line coming out of master cylinder and mounted it right in front of front seat on floor. We bought it from J.C. Whitney for less than $ 20.00. It operated by depressing the brake pedal and pushing down a little plunger on top. It would lock up all four wheels and as soon as you stepped on brake pedal it would release. It worked great and was about 1" X 3" all heavy gauge steel construction. I have not seen it in their latest catalogs but if you call them they will tell you who the supplier was.... GOOD LUCK.... THERESA

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.