Brake lines - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 69
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brake lines

Hey guys, First time posting on this site, but i'm constantly on here soaking up all the great info everyone has to offer.

I have a 1980 Pontiac Grand Lemans Safari Station wagon. G-body. I'm doing a frame off restoration and a power train swap. Shes getting a fully forged 496 stroker and a turbo 400 trans.

but my question is, i need to do new brake lines because the factory ones were in really bad shape. I was gonna try and bend my own, but time isn't really on my side. I was looking on the site http://inlinetube.com/ . but no one makes a pre-bent brake line set up for a wagon. but they do make one for an El Camino. So what i was wondering is that if anyone knew if the brake set up for an el Camino would be the same as a wagon or not. length of lines and routing of everything. I called inline tube, but they did not know because they don't usually deal with wagons. the Pontiac wagon is a little more rare, so if you google search it, you probably wont come up with the 1980 version of it, but its just like the the 1980 Malibu wagon.

thank you to everyone in advance for your help.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,516
Wiki Edits: 1

Thanks: 6
Thanked 144 Times in 131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80PontiacWagon
Hey guys, First time posting on this site, but i'm constantly on here soaking up all the great info everyone has to offer.

I have a 1980 Pontiac Grand Lemans Safari Station wagon. G-body. I'm doing a frame off restoration and a power train swap. Shes getting a fully forged 496 stroker and a turbo 400 trans.

but my question is, i need to do new brake lines because the factory ones were in really bad shape. I was gonna try and bend my own, but time isn't really on my side. I was looking on the site http://inlinetube.com/ . but no one makes a pre-bent brake line set up for a wagon. but they do make one for an El Camino. So what i was wondering is that if anyone knew if the brake set up for an el Camino would be the same as a wagon or not. length of lines and routing of everything. I called inline tube, but they did not know because they don't usually deal with wagons. the Pontiac wagon is a little more rare, so if you google search it, you probably wont come up with the 1980 version of it, but its just like the the 1980 Malibu wagon.

thank you to everyone in advance for your help.
All 78-88 A/G body cars EXCEPT the Elco use a 108" wheelbase. The Elco uses a 119" wheelbase. The brake line from the combo valve to the rear brakes will be 13" too long.

Since the wagons and 2drs use the same frame (except for some minor body mount details at the back) the 2dr brake line set should work fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2010, 10:23 AM
sqzbox's Avatar
My pipes are my music
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: indiana
Age: 64
Posts: 2,938
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey man, the new brake lines are too easy because they bend with your bare hands. Take the old lines off and bend the new ones to match. Minor adjustments can be made during installation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2010, 08:44 PM
68NovaSS's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nine Mile Falls, Washington
Posts: 5,215
Wiki Edits: 9

Thanks: 99
Thanked 130 Times in 121 Posts
What joe said. It would't hurt to buy a set of those coil spring looking benders, like a sleeve, they're cheap.
__________________
Boost adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl...

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 69
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for all the help guys, i think i might try bending my own.. just need to find a flaring tool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2010, 11:59 PM
68NovaSS's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nine Mile Falls, Washington
Posts: 5,215
Wiki Edits: 9

Thanks: 99
Thanked 130 Times in 121 Posts
Make sure the tool is capable of making double flares.
__________________
Boost adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl...

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2010, 04:41 AM
buggmann's Avatar
build it like you like them
 

Last journal entry: buggmann stilling looking
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ?????
Age: 35
Posts: 274
Wiki Edits: 2

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
buggmann

i had to make my own brakes lines for my 53 chevy 210 4 door
no one made a kit for the car it took about one afternoon to make
it i took and used my old lines to go by were to bend the lines
i ordered the line from lmc truck got a bender from advance auto
got a flare tool from autozone i made all my lines for about 75.00


hope this helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2010, 06:07 AM
artiep's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toms River Nj
Age: 63
Posts: 2
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lines

I just made brake line for my 1998 Dodge 4x4, they don't have factory lines for my truck either. You can just bend along the original line or bend up some thin wire along your frame then duplicate the wire with you brake tubing.

Last edited by artiep; 01-10-2010 at 08:40 AM. Reason: I can't spell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2010, 06:21 AM
sqzbox's Avatar
My pipes are my music
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: indiana
Age: 64
Posts: 2,938
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
ARTIEP, welcome to the site! I just did the lines on my 76 chevy 4x4 and never even thought about pre-bent. I thought all replacment lines had to be bent to fit. I got two lines the same length and even though they were about 6" longer than the one's I was replacing I just put 2 extra bends in them to make up the difference. I thought it was pretty easy actually and I'm still trying to get used to having brakes on all 4 corners! It really helps going down the steep hills when I'm out wheelin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2010, 08:49 AM
artiep's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toms River Nj
Age: 63
Posts: 2
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
ARTIEP, welcome to the site! I just did the lines on my 76 chevy 4x4 and never even thought about pre-bent. I thought all replacment lines had to be bent to fit. I got two lines the same length and even though they were about 6" longer than the one's I was replacing I just put 2 extra bends in them to make up the difference. I thought it was pretty easy actually and I'm still trying to get used to having brakes on all 4 corners! It really helps going down the steep hills when I'm out wheelin'.
The lines were easy to bend but they were the standard flare at one end and metric at the other end. I had to buy a bubble flaring kit to make up the lines. Thankfully the guy that helped me at NAPA was a fellow hot rodder and knew what he was talking about when I brought in the original lines,not like the kid at PEP Boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 69
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for all the help everyone, i'll let you know how it all goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,516
Wiki Edits: 1

Thanks: 6
Thanked 144 Times in 131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS
What joe said. It would't hurt to buy a set of those coil spring looking benders, like a sleeve, they're cheap.
Unfortunately, if you're buying premade brake lines, the ends are already flared and the coil-spring benders won't work.

Last edited by joe_padavano; 01-10-2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Rickracer's Avatar
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator
 
Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Age: 55
Posts: 936
Wiki Edits: 8

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use one like this: http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...LAID=192928275


Mine is a Blue Point by Snap-On, but looks the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cunifer brake lines -- anyone? ford2go Suspension - Brakes - Steering 3 08-12-2008 03:19 PM
Brake lines with 37 degree AN fittings 65comet Suspension - Brakes - Steering 8 07-13-2008 06:37 PM
Please help me pan out this confusion with SS Brake Lines! djjc76 Suspension - Brakes - Steering 20 12-15-2007 03:58 AM
HELP!!! 39 Dodge front brake lines Madd Syntst Suspension - Brakes - Steering 3 09-23-2006 12:15 PM
Replacing fuel and brake lines adb2f General Rodding Tech 4 11-25-2003 09:29 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.