Brake lines with 37 degree AN fittings - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 12:51 PM
www.1965comet.net

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Brake lines with 37 degree AN fittings

I've read several posts on makeing 45 degree flares for brake lines are using the 37 degree fittings instead.

I have a Ridgid 345 45 degree flaring tool and was not sucessful in creating the double flair. The line just slips out. I talked to Ridgid and they say that tool is good for only soft metal in the 3/16 size tubing. I've read about other being sucessful and I might just not have the experieince or know how.

Brake are important so I want to be sucessful in making my unions...

So I'm looking to do everything with the 37 degree flare with AN fittings. Is all I have to do is replace the fittings on my brakes and MC with the cooresponding fittings?

What other major points I need to consider? I plan on using regular steel lines...

thanks for any input...

George

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008, 01:17 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

37 degree flares are only good for stainless steel lines. Standard soft steel lines will leak with a single flare and you will be just asking for trouble.

If you are having trouble making double flares (I do too) once you have your lines cut to length just run them down to a local brake shop and let them do the flares. At least that way you'll know they've been done right and are safe.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:26 PM
www.1965comet.net

Last photo:

Got it....i had the stainless steel...I tried the 45 degree double flair...it didn't work and I've read posts here that say the same...i should have done more research....

I like the brake shop path...it'll be cheaper than buying new SS lines, fittings, and also the tool. My car will be a driver....I gave up on the 'Show Car" approach a long time ago...boy was I naive...

thanks again....

George
Old 07-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

In the past, I used to run a lot of brake lines and other hard lines for my projects and others. I use a Mastercool flaring tool #71475 . It is not inexpensive ( About $275 ) but it considerably less expensive than having a brake failure. It also does 4 different types of flares

It uses a hand operated hydraulic cylinder to compress the flares. I had surgery a few years back and the hydraulic feature really came in handy for awhile.

I have found that when double flaring

1) always deburr the inside of the tubing
2) always sand the outside of the cut area also
3) ALWAYS use a good sharp cutter.
4) I usually drop a drop or two of BRAKE FLUID ON THE AREA TO BE FLARED ... AS A LUBRICANT.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 07-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

I've never seen a flare tool that will do double flares on SS tubing, but then again, single flared SS tubing is (allegedly) OK for brake lines. That said, I used 3/16" SS tubing with single flares and standard 45 brake fittings. Will I be OK?

Russ
Old 07-12-2008, 10:03 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Stainless can not be successfully double flared. Its too hard. The fittings made or stainless brake lines are all 37 degree fittings and the lines are flared to the same 37 degrees. This is about the maximum you can flare stainless and not have it crack.

If you are using standard 45 degree fittings then I would check them all on a regular basis to make sure they're not leaking. If the stainless lines flare too much they will crack eventually.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:22 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

While I really like the tool Deuce showed you, this one will do the job for about half the cost and is really great for the home mechanic. For ~$150 these 2 tools by Rigid plus the Rigid tubing cutter will do anything you need. You do need dedicated benders for each size - this one is a 3/16. So far, 2 complete cars have been done with it and no wear except the cutter blade, my '31 and a friends '32

Dave W

The photo never showed - sorry:

Last edited by Irelands child; 07-12-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:01 PM
www.1965comet.net

Last photo:

OK....I'm leaning back to the SS and a 37 degree tool. If I go this route....i guess i would need a 37 degree adapters where there is a 45 degree inverse flair to accept the brake line? So i would need these at the proportioning valve and at each braided brake line?

Also...where would I use the steel coil that goes around the lines...by the exhaust?

thanks for any input....

George
Old 07-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
...This is about the maximum you can flare stainless and not have it crack. ...If the stainless lines flare too much they will crack eventually.
Thanks for that! I always wondered why the SS was only 37 and the mild would go 45 with a double flare. I'll be checking my fittings closely.

Russ

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.