Brake pedal and residual valves - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 09:21 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Brake pedal and residual valves

I have converted my '32 chevy to all discs and a new power booster/MC combo mounted below the floorboard. All works good except occasionally the brake pedal will stay down after stopping. Can be pulled up manually. I have residual valves to install and have been told this will cure my problem. Does anyone know where I can find a 3/8" - 24 IFF to 1/8" NPT nipple so I can plumb the valves directly into the MC?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 04:14 AM

Last photo:

Residual valve

From my understanding the residual valve keeps a minimal amount of pressure applied at the caliper piston. For my car i have a 2 psi willwood residual valve ( blue) which is plumbed into the rear line only as i have a 4 wheel disc brake conversion. This reduces the amount of pedal travel slightly when you apply the brakes. My master cylinder is typically a tandem and has two internal springs for pedal return + a tension spring off the steel pedal arm. (standard)
If you have to pull the pedal back manually my guess its a spring issue. ????
I read somewhere if your mc is below the floor then the residual valve also stops the syphoning of the brake fluid back to the mc. That would give you a long pedal travel but the springs compressed down to their min length should be pushing back just as hard as the spring would be totally compressed. Theres your 5 cents worth.
Al.

Last edited by 67Mustang Al.; 06-11-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:21 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim7231
I have converted my '32 chevy to all discs and a new power booster/MC combo mounted below the floorboard. All works good except occasionally the brake pedal will stay down after stopping. Can be pulled up manually. I have residual valves to install and have been told this will cure my problem. Does anyone know where I can find a 3/8" - 24 IFF to 1/8" NPT nipple so I can plumb the valves directly into the MC?
Speedway has a lot of brake parts, adapters, etc...

Russ
Old 06-27-2012, 08:19 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for response

I will have to check my MC for internal return springs. It is interesting that when I have to pull up the brake pedal, it takes quite a bit of pull. I do have external return springs and I am going to recheck those as well.

In my mind, I can't see how residual valves will fix this but I'm not a hydraulic engineer.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:42 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Depending on the MC, you may not be able to find a direct to MC fitting.

I would also suspect the MC as well - it sounds like fluid is getting by the internal piston cup and when you pull it back - it goes the other way. There is at least one spring plus a cup expander inside of that MC

As far as plumbing resid valves - I suggest that you do them close by the MC - and use 2# versions with disc's fron and rear. An adjustable proportioning valve would also be a good addition.

In the photo you can just see one of the two RPVs, the prop valve and the stoplight switch - and it all works with a Corvette type MC and using simple SAE or AN fittings.

Dave W
Old 06-27-2012, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

Brake pedal

Thanks so much for the additional info. I do have a proportioning valve in the system already. It was there before I converted the rear drums to discs. The MC and booster were new purchases from Speedway however I have read that sometimes new MCs have problems.
Not being a brake system guy, do I pull the MC and find an expert or what is the way to determine if fluid is getting by the piston?
Another bit of info is that when the pedal stays down, it pulls up with more effort than I think should be with two external springs on the actuator rod.
Again, thanks. I learn something new everyday.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:56 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim7231
Thanks so much for the additional info. I do have a proportioning valve in the system already. It was there before I converted the rear drums to discs. The MC and booster were new purchases from Speedway however I have read that sometimes new MCs have problems.
Not being a brake system guy, do I pull the MC and find an expert or what is the way to determine if fluid is getting by the piston?
Another bit of info is that when the pedal stays down, it pulls up with more effort than I think should be with two external springs on the actuator rod.
Again, thanks. I learn something new everyday.
Jim - as much as I like Speedway, a lot of their parts have become less then great lately, being from somewhere overseas(China, etc). If the MC has an incorrectly drilled reservoir return holes, porous or internally cracked casting, poorly bored cylinder, etc - you might chase the problem for a long time.

As far as a return spring, that really doesn't have to be much if the system is 'right'

I would probably pull the MC, do an inspection and if OK, find a kit and install when I did RPV's. If it's a Corvette type, Rock Auto has them as rebuilts from about $30 to $80 - and their quality overall for many parts for various vehicles of mine that I've purchased has been 100%.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:11 PM

Last photo:

Mc

Thanks for the info again. I'm not a builder, just a one car guy and I really appreciate the expertise and experience you have. I will pursue the MC inspection and / or replacement.

Thanks for taking to time to communicate.

Jim

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.