Brake problem on my 93 Thunderbird. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 07:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Brake problem on my 93 Thunderbird.

When I apply the brakes the car pulls towards the drivers side pretty heavily and seems to be tearing up my ball joint on that side because of the extra torque. I replaced the ball joints on the driver's side after they went out when I was making a right hand turn about 4 months ago along with the top A arm. The brake problem has been happening like this for about 6 months now but I havent had the money to fix it till now. I replaced the master cylinder but that didnt change hardly anything. The brake pedal still seems to sink a little lower than usual but ive had the car for about 3 years now but the breaks have been like this for awhile because of lack of funds so im not sure when it started doing that. What should I do next? Power booster? Prop valve? Could it be that my prop valve needs adjustment because it seems that the rear drums and passenger side brake do very little when it comes to spreading the load of breaking so it gets dumped off to the driver's side. After a trip the driver side area seems to smell really hot now so I think it may be getting worse. Whenever I turn there is screeching sound like bare metal grinding on bare metal and it gets even worse when I apply the brakes and turn at the same time, even if I barely turn the wheel. It sounds like the same sound before my ball joint went out last time. I have replaced the pads so thats not the noise problem as it seems to be coming in the suspension area. I greased up everyting and that will last for a little while but it just goes right back to the same old same old. It just seems to be putting so much torque on the driverside that it doesnt matter. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Im not sure what to buy next as money is tight and I would like to buy the right part first instead of chasing the problem down. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009, 08:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

if you think the problem is coming from drivers side front jack front wheelsoff ground spin both of front tires to compare freedom of movement .have someoe tap on your brakes while doing it . you need to check ad see if brake caliper is sticking .if it smells like its geting hot caliper could be sticking .there could be a couple of things that will make a caliper stick .the simple thing and cheap fix would be a collapsed brake line. the other being the caliper itself. if it feels like its getting hot more than it ought to be in one particulr area try to zero in on where the heat source is coming from ,ive even seen wheel bearings go out and cause problems simular to what your explanation of your problem is .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.