Hot Rod Forum banner

brake problems

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  67Mustang Al. 
#1 ·
I recently put all brake shoes on 1949 chevy, put new wheel cylinders on all four wheels, put new rubber lines and rebuilt the master cylinder. (had some small pits after honing it out). I ajusted brakes and bleed them. After driving abut 2 miles the front brakes are locking up and the brake peddle stays high. When I get out of the car I can smell the shoes bruing. When they cool down I have peddle again. Can you give me some info. on how to fix my problem.

#2 ·
sounds like you could have pressurized front lines with no way to return to zero
Or, if you have internal brake shoe return springs , are they correctly installed. b
Are the brake shoes fitted in correct direction.
Check brake pedal return spring if fitted.
When they lock up you could try backing off bleed screws at the front wheels to see if that frees the wheels. That would tell you its "line pressure" thats causing the problem. Work back from there until you find the pressure block.
Or If you disconnect the front brake lines at the master cylinder/ distribution block, and that frees the front wheels, there is your problem, maybe.
Al.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.