Hot Rod Forum banner

brake proportioning valve problem

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  S10 Racer 
#1 ·

My '79 Suburban has started leaking brake fluid from the black thing on the fitting on the right side of this valve (goes to the rear brakes). A little rubber thing and something that looks like a star washer ~1/4" in diameter came out of the hole. I can't find another valve around here, not even at a Chevy dealer, and I don't really want to get a used one. I need to get the truck back on the road ASAP, and this thing has got me stumped. Does anybody know what that black thing is, and if it would hurt anything if I just plugged the hole with something?

See less See more
#2 ·
jimfulco said:

My '79 Suburban has started leaking brake fluid from the black thing on the fitting on the right side of this valve (goes to the rear brakes). A little rubber thing and something that looks like a star washer ~1/4" in diameter came out of the hole. I can't find another valve around here, not even at a Chevy dealer, and I don't really want to get a used one. I need to get the truck back on the road ASAP, and this thing has got me stumped. Does anybody know what that black thing is, and if it would hurt anything if I just plugged the hole with something?
The black rubber part is a boot that covers the pin that is supposed to be pressed in when you bleed the brakes. The pin usually has o-rings on it. I'm not sure you you would plan to plug it, since there are no threads there. A used valve will be fine for the short term. You can also try to remove the pin and replace the o-rings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.