Hot Rod Forum banner

brake question

956 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Tissue 
#1 ·
long story short, my brake line got busted by a genious friend trying to pull car by rear axle, dont ask, but the part where the line runs across the rear axle(79 nova) got busted(bout an inch), is there any way i can fix just that part without having to do an entire re running of the brake lines. could i clamp a hose over that portion for a lil while till i got the money to replace the whole thing (sounds too ghetto but just an idea). Also a friend said something about there being a way to get fittings on each end and then put them together with a connector/spacer. would that work? btw i can post but it wont lemme reply so pm if you need to ask more questions.

#2 ·
Don't fool around with your brakes. First off clamping a hose between the two ends won't work. Besides being dangerous, it would never handle the pressure.

I would bet you could stop off at almost any wrecking yard and pick up a used piece from one of several donor cars that would pretty much bolt right in. Another option would be to contact Year One and order a replacement. They aren't expensive and will fit exactly like the factory piece.

One last option would be to buy the proper diameter brake line from your local auto parts store and cut it to length, bend it to fit and then double flair the ends and bolt it in place of the entire line across the rear end. Thats the "do it yourself" method.

Don't forget to bleed the rear brakes after you're done with the work.

Centerline

#3 ·
You MUST replace the line from the nearest junction point (where rubber hose from frame meets rear) to the brake backing plate. Rubber hose & clamps will never hold and is illegal. Don't let someone talk you into compression fittings and a section repair, also dangerous and illegal.

#4 ·
ok lets see if i can reply. if just that line is damaged, how much line would i have to replace?( havent noticed but i thought it went all the way to the proportioning valve...)

#5 ·
You will have a flexible line that runs from the frame to the rear end housing. This line will then transition to a hard line probably with some sort of a "T" fitting and the hard line will run to each rear wheel cylinder or caliper depending on which type brakes you have. If the hard line is damaged you just need to replace the section that is damaged (from the "T" to the brake cylinder or caliper). Remember to always use DOT approved brake line and always, and I do mean always, double flare the tubing. You can rent a flaring tool from almost any tool rental place and some auto part stores. Also your local mechanic can probably flare the tubing for you once you have it cut to size. When you're done, bleed the brakes.

Centerline

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.