brake question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2004, 04:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

brake question

long story short, my brake line got busted by a genious friend trying to pull car by rear axle, dont ask, but the part where the line runs across the rear axle(79 nova) got busted(bout an inch), is there any way i can fix just that part without having to do an entire re running of the brake lines. could i clamp a hose over that portion for a lil while till i got the money to replace the whole thing (sounds too ghetto but just an idea). Also a friend said something about there being a way to get fittings on each end and then put them together with a connector/spacer. would that work? btw i can post but it wont lemme reply so pm if you need to ask more questions.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2004, 05:06 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Don't fool around with your brakes. First off clamping a hose between the two ends won't work. Besides being dangerous, it would never handle the pressure.

I would bet you could stop off at almost any wrecking yard and pick up a used piece from one of several donor cars that would pretty much bolt right in. Another option would be to contact Year One and order a replacement. They aren't expensive and will fit exactly like the factory piece.

One last option would be to buy the proper diameter brake line from your local auto parts store and cut it to length, bend it to fit and then double flair the ends and bolt it in place of the entire line across the rear end. Thats the "do it yourself" method.

Don't forget to bleed the rear brakes after you're done with the work.

Centerline
Old 03-22-2004, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

You MUST replace the line from the nearest junction point (where rubber hose from frame meets rear) to the brake backing plate. Rubber hose & clamps will never hold and is illegal. Don't let someone talk you into compression fittings and a section repair, also dangerous and illegal.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:12 PM

ok lets see if i can reply. if just that line is damaged, how much line would i have to replace?( havent noticed but i thought it went all the way to the proportioning valve...)
Old 03-22-2004, 05:20 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

You will have a flexible line that runs from the frame to the rear end housing. This line will then transition to a hard line probably with some sort of a "T" fitting and the hard line will run to each rear wheel cylinder or caliper depending on which type brakes you have. If the hard line is damaged you just need to replace the section that is damaged (from the "T" to the brake cylinder or caliper). Remember to always use DOT approved brake line and always, and I do mean always, double flare the tubing. You can rent a flaring tool from almost any tool rental place and some auto part stores. Also your local mechanic can probably flare the tubing for you once you have it cut to size. When you're done, bleed the brakes.

Centerline
Old 03-22-2004, 05:28 PM

ok so it looks like im off to the junk yard tomorrow. thanks centerline

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.