Brake Questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2003, 06:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Brake Questions

Hi,

I have a 61 Willy's CJ5 Jeep. I'm not sure if you'd put this in a hot rod class or not but I need some brake advice. I've been doing a disc brake conversion using backing plate and caliper parts from a 1977 Blazer. To give you an idea of what I've done you can visit this page: http://www.oldjeep.com/disc.htm

The other thing that has been done is the brake pedal assembly has been converted to a swing pedal. I'm using a MC from a 71 Corvette which is a manual MC designed for disc brakes. I have replaced every braking item in the front from lines to calipers. The problem I'm having is that the brakes don't seem to be getting hard. I've bled and bled and they won't get hard. A previous MC I used was hard after bleeding but it wasn't big enough for the calipers so it wasn't strong enough to stop the jeep. Since using the new MC I haven't been able to get a stiff pedal.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be wrong? I'm wondering if the Corvette MC travels farther than the previous MC. I think maybe the brake pedal isn't getting fully depressed because of the floor board and it might be preventing me from getting full brakeage. Oh yah, the thing about my old MC is I have no idea what it's from, the MC and swing pedal had been converted by a previous owner.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2003, 06:45 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

i can't really answer your question, but if you know what calipers you have, what mc the vette is using, and measured the 'original' mc bore, you could give this info to somebody on a brake tech line like at Baer or somewhere, and maybe they could help you figure it out.

other than that, i'm not sure. do you have a proportioning valve installed? this could probably help part of your problem.

good luck,

JB

another thing i just thought of, you said you used blazer calipers, i wonder if they are the same as the chev 1/2ton calipers that are spec'd in the instructions from your link. i work at an autoparts store, if i remember tomorrow i will check to see the bore sizes, etc. of the calipers. if the blazer calipers are bigger then maybe that's why your master cylinder doesn't have enough force to operate them properly.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:05 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

Bugatow,

well i don't know how much help this will be but i checked out the listings for blazers and pickups for you.

the vette never used the same mc as trucks.

the 2WD Blazers used the same front calipers as the C10/C15 pickups up to 1978 and some were the same after 1978. The 4WD blazers used different front calipers.

the Blazers and pickups used the same master cylinder from about 1974 to 1980 with some exceptions.

all of the GM mc's were 1-1/8" bore, including the vette, up until about 1981 when they went to 30mm bores which is slightly smaller than 1-1/8".

from the instructions for your webpage link they say to use pre-87 p/u parts, but pre-87 could be anything.

good luck,

JB
Old 08-22-2003, 09:37 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

Johnny's got you looking in the right direction. You also may want to look at where the pedal pivots. On some pedals, there's different pivoting locations to make the stroke longer/shorter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.