Brake Rotor advice please - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2010, 01:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Brake Rotor advice please

I have a 69 camaro with factory front Discs, I am looking for a pair of Drilled/slotted Rotors for the front discs that are good quality and will not rust.

I do not race this car, but instead looking for looks and some decent performance to help braking if I do need it.

I am looking on e-bay but do not know what brand works well.

Any suggestions on who to use or who to stay away from...remember NO RUST!!

Thanks a bunch

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 05:07 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

IMO, on a street car, Drilled and slotted rotors are not good.. they cool the best, but they are also weaker than a solid rotor, being there full of holes.. I'v seen many pairs with haze cracking going from hole to hole.. use just a slotted rotor.. summit racing as well as Jegs probably list somthing

your not going to stop rust with any brand. just drive the car and that'll keep the rotor as rust free as your going to get.. you could also tape off the braking surface and spray them with a high temp paint to keep the hub from rusting.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I agree with Matt to a degree, they can crack if...they are cheap "offshore" junk and/or you drill the holes too close and you really over heat them. It seems like some guys want to make their rotors look like swiss cheese. I made a template and drilled my rotors (1/4") for my '32, came out pretty nice, need a drill press to do it.

You have to remember to flip the template over for left and right as the rotors are now directional due to the way the holes flow away from the hub. Then you lightly countersink the holes which helps greatly for a no crack life. I left exactly 1/2" of material between the edges of the countersink. They also sell them on ebay, make sure its a long term seller with good feed back....OR you can google "drilled and slotted rotors" lots of places.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.