Hot Rod Forum banner

brake shoes

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  TooMany2count 
#1 ·
I bought a 28 ford that came with a 10 bolt rearend. How can I figure out what rear end it is so I can get new wheel cylinders, brake shoes and hardware? There is no tag on the rear end. :confused:

#2 ·
Try to find ID numbers on the axle tubes. On GM's they are usually on the right side tube, within 6" or so of the center section, usually on the front of the tube, but sometimes a little high. They are stamped lightly, so it needs to be clean. I don't know about Fords. You might take the old brake cylinders & shoes to a good parts man & get them matched up. The type of 10-bolt (if it's a GM) might help narrow it down. Here's an ID site:

http://www.prestage.com/Tech+Info/Rear+Axles/default.aspx

#3 ·
most likely its a nova type, BUT what I did when I had that same problem w/my ford 9inch was, take a brake shoe off and wheel cylinder to a GOOD PARTS place <~~~~ read it again, a GOOD PARTS place, not some grocery store parts house, unless you do get good service there. They should be able to get you the right stuff by measuring your stuff, at least my parts house was able to do that for me. Then you'll have an idea what you have......joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.