Brake shoes to big for the drum? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2005, 07:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Brake shoes to big for the drum?

Hello
heres the new question. i bought new brakes from advance yes there cheapy model shoes. i got them home and cant get them to fit with the adjuster all the way in. i have been told by johnsongrass1 in my previous post that they can sometimes be to big and i need to id them to make them work, what is id? has anyone else had a simular problem with these big shoes? thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2005, 08:05 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

the 1st thing is advance is a bad joke
take your old shoes and the drum w/ you when you go to exchange them you might need your vin # to ID the car correctly
they should fit nice & tight w/no gap in between the lining and the drum
also make sure you dont switch the adjusters (from left to right)
good luck

sr66

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 06-01-2005, 09:19 PM
abstruse dutch uncle

Last photo:

Have you checked the parking brake?
I've found that for some strange reason people like to adjust up the parking brake as the shoes wear (instead of adjusting the shoes). It makes it impossible to get the drum over the new shoes. Also sometimes one or both cables will be stuck.

It's something to check anyway.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:49 PM

Last photo:

yesgo yes the parling brake might be a problem if i was workin on the rear drums but these are front drum brakes on this project. i should has specified in the post they are front drum brakes but thanks for the reply.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:35 PM
abstruse dutch uncle

Last photo:

oops

OOps.
Sorry.

Have you put the Bendix cyliders on yet? The correct GM style cylinders for the Elky will have the dust boots pressed inside the cylinder, and the cheapy cylinders have them on the outside like Fords. I haven't had a problem with the cheap ones on a GM... rear... yet, but I've had problems with Hondas where the $8 cylinder wouldnt let the shoes go on, and the $18 cylinder would. I haven't worked on front drums in a while... mine are about 10yrs old now so I will be again soon.

I don't suppose you can take pics of what is happening? Is it like that on both sides?
Old 06-02-2005, 03:58 PM

Last photo:

Hello yesgo yes i have put bendix replacements back on the car i bought the cheapy brand and they wouldnt work youre right. only trouble now is the brake pads being to large or the series of shoes i have looked at so far are to buy wont fit. ive never had this problem before now with brakes. im going to go get the bendix brand shoes for the front and try them out tommorow hopefully theyll work if not ill be serchin all the stores for a new older model of shoes, yes this is driving me crazy as simple things can do.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:23 AM

Last photo:

Have you measured them to make sure they're too big? I've had problems getting drums back on over new shoes, but usually it's just because the shoes are slightly offset to the front or rear, just enough to cause interference that makes it seem like the drum's too small. Try applying your fist to the front shoe or the rear & see if you can move the assembly back to a centered position so the drum will go on.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:23 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I believe I.d. is inside diameter. Check this to make sure no one has replaced your drums with another make or size.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

Another suggestion,though unlikely on a car but common on Class 8 trucks is front drum warpage.The majority of your stopping force is on the front axle and if the drums heat up and cool rapidly,they can warp,causing an uneven surface,however you should feel a vibration/shimmy in the steering wheel if this was the cause.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:45 PM

Last photo:

yes i have put on the bendix cylinder and it works great. the cheapy wouldnt work on the front and they are the inside boot and not the outside boot. i tried the bendix brand brake as well with no luck. i have tried to move the brakes shoes around as i also though they were off centered but no luck. this is both of the front shoes having the problem, i have the old shoes from the front and they are alittle different than the new they are about 1/4 inch smaller than these new ones i look at. im thinking the only choice i have is to grind the top and bottom of the shoes so i can get the drum on but this sounds like a bad idea to me, i dont want the shoes to only catch on a piece of the drum. its strange the old shoes fit fine and the new wont and the pad is the same thickness as the new so its got to be the shape of these newer models that is throwing it off. im off to napa to give theres a try tommorow hopefully they will work.
about time to go find some used shoes so i can drive lol, after that im towing it to midas and tell them to put there lifetime shoes on the front so they can tell me whats the problem with the shoes. simple things amaze me
Old 06-03-2005, 04:06 PM
Left Nut, Right Nut....Squish!

Last photo:

Take your shoes with you down to napa, theres always an expierenced dude behind the counter at napa. He might be able to help you.

what size drums are those? Im not sure if the years 72 and 65 have same drums....i still have drums up front, replaced em last year with some kragen/checkers cheapies without a problem......mabey someone changed out the brakes? best bet is to take the shoes with you to napa or somewhere with some people that know their butt from a hole in the ground....

Ill go look outside, i save my parts boxes ill see if i can find a part# and comeback to edit.........(mabey same drum ...never kno)

ok mine were part 241pg raybestos pg plus.
theres another number i dunno ifs its a part# or what but its...102503d2.
MADE IN USA
brought em in and snapped a quick pic also... good luck to ya
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shoes.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	5288  

Last edited by 1Fast65Elky; 06-03-2005 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:47 PM

Last photo:

i have changed the front shoes on this car 2 times before now and never had a problem with the wearever brand shoes until now. i know the shoe model is 246. i have seen the number 241 in the bendix brand and wondered if there was a difference in those and the 246 although they say the same thing why would they offer a 241 or a 246. the brakes i have looked at are brand new, not remanufactured brakes. im thinkin thats the problem, i need an old remanufactured brake instead of these new models just like the cylinder that wouldnt work ntil i bought the bendix brand. maybe i need to order the 241 model in the bendix brand to see if they are different. ill go order them now so well see tommorow. thanks 65elke
Old 06-03-2005, 07:14 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

It might also not be you at all.The brakes have to be relined somewhere.If they messed up,by using a bad core shoe,or by boxing them incorrectely,then you would also have that problem.Just saw where you bought new shoes.The part number should be the same.Sounds like you got the wrong ones.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:46 PM
abstruse dutch uncle

Last photo:

I just looked up the 2 different #s. Good call.

They are different. They show measurements of "web" and "throat" and the throat on one is 1" vs 1 1/4" on the other.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:19 PM

Last photo:

the old model of brakes i have are stamped 246, i have bought a new 246 model and it wouldnt work although they suppose to be the replacement for the front shoes no matter what brand there 246. but theres r246 raf246 and 246. i see on advance auto online they have the specs of the throat being 1" and 1" 1/4. the 246 are 1" like the old shoe i have that fits and the 241 are 1" 1/4. im going to try and find some differnt brand brakes other than the normal at, all pro parts, bumper to bumper and napa. maybe if im lucky i can find a match to my old 246. if not ill just order all the different models from advance so i can find a match, thanks for the help so far gettin alot closer.

Last edited by 72 chevy elcamino; 06-03-2005 at 10:03 PM.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.