Brake Switch Wiring - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 05:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Yeah, absolutely, I will! The schematics look sound but better to be safe than sorry! Where is a good place to get the Bosch relays? I have O'Reilly's, Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Carquest and NAPA here in Mankato, and not one carries Bosch.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 06:24 PM

Last photo:

Well, we should have said "Bosch style" relays. The Bosch style relays generally refer to a relay with the five terminals labeled 85, 86 30, 87 & 87A. There are numerous brands of this type of relay, they all generally operate on the same principle. NAPA may carry the best quality relay over the other stores.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:36 PM

Last photo:

After taking a second look at my original diagram, I saw where I could eliminate the diodes by wiring the flasher outputs to relay terminal 87.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BrakeTurn2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	66024  
Old 06-12-2012, 10:49 PM

Yeah, I understood Bosch style meant any 5 pin but I too like Bosch relays and I use them for door poppers and power windows quite a bit but since I've moved to MN from the west coast, I have to find new parts sources. I found some online that will be here in a day or 2. Also, that second diagram is slick as snot, as my Pop used to say. That's going to make it extremely easy to wire in the brake switch and turn signals in a tidy little package. Once again this forum has saved my butt, I hope to be able to return the favor someday!
Old 06-13-2012, 04:38 AM

Last photo:

Sorry, I bench tested mine and it has issues...... the flasher circuit provided feed back and all four flashed with the turn sig. It also wouldn't work with the OEM flasher, an electronic flasher worked very well.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:01 PM

Last photo:

I like the "bosh style" that come in the early 2000 Dodges they are about 1/2" x 1" so you can put them anywhere.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:48 PM

I just got through bench testing as well and got the same result; thermal flasher no bueno, electronic flasher works fine. That was with regular, 1157 bulbs. I found some LED bulbs to replace the 1157s becuase the LEDs are brighter but there is no flash, the LEDs just light up. Do LEDS take a special flasher? Thanks again!
Old 06-16-2012, 03:55 PM

Last photo:

If you are useing an electronic flasher they should work, if you got them wired up right. I'm using an electronic flasher with LEDs front and rear....... and the electronic flasher will allow reg bulbs and LEDs at the same time.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:59 PM

Last photo:

I'm still working on this, as time premits...... my version works well..... except..... the turns don't orver-ride the brakes...... My latest version uses one flasher, 4 relays..... 4-way flasher, brakes etc..... I need to over come the brake orver-ride tho'

I don't have a need for this circuit, but it's now become a puzzle for me
Old 06-16-2012, 06:02 PM

Last photo:

You don't say which electronic flasher you are using. Its unusual that the electronic flasher you have will work with the 1157 bulbs, but not flash the LEDs.

This problem is rare, but I have heard of similar circumstances where this same problem you mentioned has occurred. This problem was corrected by switching to either a Tridon Stant EL-12 or Wagnor 7210 electronic flasher.

I'm using 1157's on the front and LEDs on the rear and they work fine with the thermo 552 flasher. The 1157's on the front are pulling enough current for the 552 and the LEDs in the rear are just along for the ride!
Old 06-16-2012, 09:33 PM

Last photo:

I bench tested hopup's version.....same issue with the brake light overriding the turn
Old 06-17-2012, 06:59 AM

Last photo:

I bench tested it also, and it works fine. With power directly from the turn signal switch to relay terminal 85 activating the relay, it holds the brake light power out of the circuit as long as the turn signal is activated.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:41 AM

Last photo:

I just bench tested the circuit with LEDs and a Tridon EL-12 flasher and that doesn't fix the problem. The LEDs still remain lit and do not flash.

I would think that most electronic flashers should work, however, depending on the LED lights you have, you may need a flasher specifically for LED usage or install an inline resistor to simulate the incandescent light load. I don't like the inline resistor because of the undesired heat it generates at the resistor.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with an electronic flasher recommendation.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:25 PM

Last photo:

I revised my version, I couldn't get either to work properly. It worked but when the turn was on and the brakes were applied...... the relay cycled so fast you could just barely tell the turn signal was on...... dangerous IMO.
I did get a well working circuit, Turns, Brakes and Four way flashers.

I used a single electronic flasher, nothing special just one that was listed for a 67 Camaro.
I had to use a ON-OFF-ON toggle (DPDT), I couldn't get it to work without it because I needed to turn off the brake circuit when the turn signal was on.
I used a ON-OFF toggle (SPST) for the hazards
I used bosh style 5 pole relays (six total),there better relays for this app, but I used bosh style due to availability. I used some smaller ones that I salvaged from a dodge Dakota. All 6 relays taped together measure 1 ¾” by 1 ¾”
I assumed the brake switch would provide a +12v

How it works……..
Step on the brake (no turn sig) pwr is fed from the brake light switch to the 87a (NC) terminal on Relays 1a and 1b, out thru terminal 30 (Comm) into to the 87a (NC) terminal on Relays 2a and 2b, out thru terminal 30 (Comm) to the rear turn/stop lights……. None of the relays are energized.

Activate left or right turn signal (no brake light) intermittent pwr is fed from the single electronic flasher, thru the turn sig switch to the 87a (NC) terminal on Relay 3a or 3b, (depending Left or Right) and out thru terminal 30 (Comm), front turn light is also connected to terminal 30…… at the same time terminal 30 (Comm) provides power to the 87 (NO) and 86 (Coil) terminal on Relay 2a. Relay 2a activates and sends pwr thru terminal 30 (Comm) to the rear turn/stop light…… both front and rear turn bulbs light and flash….. due to the flasher. At the same time constant pwr is fed from a +12 volt source , thru the turn sig switch to the 86 (Coil) terminal on Relay 1a or 1b, the relay activates and disconnects terminal 30 (Comm).

Activate left or right turn signal and step on the brake….. basically the same as the turn, but when the relay 1a or 1b, activates and disconnects terminal 30 (Comm), which is the brake light feed, the brake light cannot illuminate….. hence the turn signal continues to flash, while the other side brake feed relay is not energized and the brake feed is still connected and the brake light remains on.

Activate the Hazards……. constant pwr is fed from a +12 volt source , thru the Haz switch to the 87 (NO) and 86 (Coil) terminals on Relay 3a and 3b. Relays 3a and 3b activate and flash all four lights…… the brake circuit is still in connected ….. so the brake will over-ride the turns and stay on.

looks and sounds complicated, but really wasn’t that hard to wire up.

I posted this before l verified my drawing skills matches what I have on the bench, so this may change
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Turn Brake Hazards.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	66124  

Last edited by EOD Guy; 06-17-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:29 PM

Last photo:

Drawing matches bench......it works very well.

These are the relays I like to use...Omron 21911C
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	omron relay1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	66125   Click image for larger version

Name:	omron relay.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	66126  

Last edited by EOD Guy; 06-17-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.