Brake/Tail Light wiring - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2010, 12:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Brake/Tail Light wiring

Hey guys I need HELP!
I am just about done with my 47 Ford pickup, I need brake/tail lights and a working speedo so I can pass inspection and register it.

I have an EZ wiring harness and I can't figure out the tail section. The rear turn signals work but no brake or tail lights. I am using an in-line brake light switch. There is a wire labeled "brake light switch power" coiming from the fuse panel. My question is does this wire go to the steering column or to the brake light switch? Then I need to know how to get from the switch to the lights.
A diagram would be great!
This is my first time wiring a vehicle and I am finding it to be a pain in the *****. EZ wiring tech support is impossible to get a hold of.
I need help quick because I have an inspection appointment Tuesday moring.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2010, 12:49 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

See attached wiring diagram for typical GM vehicles which is common to most wiring kits.
The brake light feed wire goes the brake light switch. Then another wire goes to the turn signal/hazard switch (white wire).
The brake light bulbs use the turn signal bulbs if you are using a dual filament bulb such as an 1157.

vicrod
Attached Files
File Type: pdf gm turnsignals.pdf (55.2 KB, 420 views)

Last edited by vicrod; 08-21-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:42 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Go here look at post # 3

Steering column wire ID?

should clear things up for ya.

To read that pdf you need to turn the display sideways .
Old 08-21-2010, 10:50 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. I find the diagrams hard to follow because they do not match the wiring I have.
I have a sigle bulb with two filiments for each tail light. I need to run the "stop switch power" wire to the switch, then come off the switch and tie into the tail light or turn signal wiring. I am not sure which one.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:58 AM

Last photo:

Did you look at the link suggested, that is just about as simple and straight forward as you are going to get, it even shows the brake light switch on the digram. A wire from the fuse panel too the switch, from the switch too column, the turn signal switch takes care of the rest. I agree the PDF file is hard to view and while understandable and clear, one needs some knowledge to noodle it out.

However that diagram in the post is real clear and plainly show it using the duel filament bulb, if you have installed the kit right, the only wiring needed to finish off your project is the brake light switch circuit, do not give up so easily.

The hardest part of the whole process will be getting the two (2) wires run in and out of the brake light switch, depending on where you have it plumed, mounted.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:59 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Stop light switch should be an orange wire if it GM coded.
Orange wires are generally fed by the battery and protected by a fuse.
Probably dome lights and stop lights.

Orange wire comes from the fusebox and connects to one of the pins on the stop switch.

A white wire from the other pin on the stop switch to the turn switch.
This wire actually feeds the brake lights thru the switch.

A (probably) purple wire feeds the circuitry for the turn signals
This wire is from the flasher can on the fusebox and is only 'hot' when the key is "ON"

The brown wire going into your turn switch will have nothing to do with your taillights----so don't even give that a thought --- yet

A different brown wire (and I have seen "Centech" use Lt Green) is feeding your taillights from the headlight switch >>> thru a fuse in the fusebox>>>to the taillights

The Yellow (left rear turn signal and brake) and Green (right rear turn signal and brake) are the wires from the turn switch to the brake/turn lamps

The afore mentioned brown wire-----HAZARD FLASHER feed from the Hazard flasher can-----Also powered directly from the battery thru a fuse.

Turn switches do some interesting things inside.
When one of the blinkers are turned on----they actually turn off the brake light circuit to that particular blinker-----leaving the opposite brake light on.

when in 4-way mode------=the brake circuit overrides the 4-way mode

Flasher can ratings are different for the turns and 4-ways
4-ways may need a heavy duty flasher to slow down the flashing and the turns would use a light duty flasher to get any to flash at all.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:24 AM

I am going into the garage now. Ill let you know.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:31 AM

Last photo:

You know what you could do to test this all out before you try to make things permanent.. Get some wire, open the door run the wires from the switch in threw the door and up to the column and fuse box and test it. If it works and I think it will, then proceed to the final install... now go out to that garage LOL
Old 08-22-2010, 09:48 AM

I've got nothing. I ran the power wire to the switch then a wire to the only unused wire on the column. I have a total of 6 wires(various colors) coming from the column and the unused one is red. Does it make a difference if I do not not have the flasher wire hooked up? If so then I am at an even bigger loss because I do not have a wire for the flashers.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:29 AM

Update. The in line switch I have is not working. I plugged into a plunger switch and I got lights. However something is screwy because the lights are allways hot(on) then when I hit the swithc they turn off.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1F9O4R7D
Update. The in line switch I have is not working. I plugged into a plunger switch and I got lights. However something is screwy because the lights are allways hot(on) then when I hit the swithc they turn off.
IF you look at the book that come with the wiring kit it has 3 diagrams in it ,front,dash and rear just look at them. oh by the way the wires have righting on them that tell you what they are and that should tell you where they go.At lest all the EZ wire kits I HAVE EVER seen do.It even tells you how to make up the plug for the steering column. Oh some of the colors don't match factory wire BUT the pretty pictures do tell you which color to match it to.

good luck OLDROD
Old 08-23-2010, 08:24 AM

I still do not have brake lights. The turn signal switch is stamped Ford xsts-d. I am trying to find info on this switch and I am not having any luck. Any further advice?
Old 08-23-2010, 05:55 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Here is a simple diagram from oldengine.org . FAQ section signal circuit. There are more diagrams. at this site. Just keep looking around.
http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/sig3.htm
Old 08-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Heathen

Last photo:

Quote:
Have you bled the brakes yet? If not the pressure activated switch will not work.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:23 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
If I have this part right , you are saying that the brake lights are on and then go off when you push the brake pedal . It sounds to me like you have a normally closed switch instead of a normally open . If you have a three terminal switch it has C (common) terminal , a NC (normally closed) terminal and a NO (normally open) terminal . Power needs to be to the C terminal and the wire going to the directoinal switch for the brake lights hooked to the NO terminal .

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.