Brake Uprade Questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 04:31 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Brake Uprade Questions

So i have a real big concern, long story short i had a real big problem stopping my truck ive ended up in the middle of the intersection before. So i totaled my truck cause i couldnt stop the light turned yellow i went, and some girl wasnt paying attention, bam!i hit her went over her car and bent my frame. My truck is a 77 k10 4 inch lift 35s 355 th350 np203 nothing extreme my brakes were good but they werent good enough. Im going to one tons and 38s and some engine upgrades so ima need them (new frame 8 inches)
So that brings me to my questions
1. hydro assist good idea
2. i heard a bigger piston master cylinders? also i heard you could get rid of the brake booster by upgrading the size so no need for vacuum
3. Bigger piston calpers front and back do they have them for dana 60 and 14 ff?
4. Rotor size 13 in? So i want to run dana 60 and 14 ff i heard 15 inch rims will work with shaving the calipers not a problem but i cant run a bigger rotor so i was told 17s to run a 13 inch rotor would having one ton brakes and stock rotor size with slotted and cross drilled work good or would i benifit more with 17 inch rims and bigger rotor
thx for the answers just for future references really, im in the works of getting my axles so when i buy rims i wanna know if i could run 15s or would 17s be better to run, this truck is taken everywhere mud, sand, water , some rocks that are not too crazy here in AZ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-01-07_16.12.49.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	67879   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-01-07_16.17.47.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	67880   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-01-07_16.18.00.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	67881   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0003.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	67882   Click image for larger version

Name:	mail.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	67883  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 06:52 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Too big Tires !!

Some insurance companies WILL NOT pay for the damage you did! Read the fine print. Car and Truck manufactures have prohibitions against doing modifications not in the companies engineering manual, used as a guide for companies that build ambulances, Fire trucks, specialitys, etc. That said, think of a teeter totter with a person sitting mid way on each side of the pivot, You move out to the end, (putting on bigger tires), The person on the other end can wiggle, try to jump up and down but will not move you. You need to upsize your brakes, Some insurance companies will not pay for roll overs on lifted vehicles. YOU have moved the center of gravity above the design, safety location ! I had a radically lifted Jeep FC, I brought it down 6 inches so I gould get in easier , then used the 4 X 4 drive train and SBC in My jeepster.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Not sure how the lawsuit "climate" is over there. If you were in my area (SETX), I would advise hanging on to any loose cash to pay your lawyer...

Russ
Old 09-15-2012, 11:55 AM

Last photo:

Oh this all said and done I bought my truck back from them it was her fault I'm just trying to help prevent this again and improve
Old 09-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Not sure how much you're willing to spend. Those huge tires, by virtue of their increased diameter, will decrease the mechanical advantage of any braking system. Anything you can do to increase the swept area and/or clamping force will help...

Russ
Old 09-16-2012, 06:52 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn77 View Post
Oh this all said and done I bought my truck back from them it was her fault I'm just trying to help prevent this again and improve
I hope she was OK.

Her fault ? You modified you vehicle to the point where you cannot stop it safely upon entering an intersection if there is a problem !
You could have used more caution and be prepared for someone running the light.
I may be the only driver doing this but I always slow going thru an intersection and look for cross traffic talking on cell phones etc. just in case.

That said, there must be larger rotors and double calipers available..
I kmow that you could go air/with hydraulic calipers and can have a remot booster etc.
JMHO
Old 09-16-2012, 09:08 PM

Last photo:

She was good just a little bruised on her cheek but maybe I should've worded this better any vehicle has trouble stopping quick I could stop easy with room its not like I had no brakes its just suddens stop were often very close encounters, I did try taking precautions I went under speed limit and braked early I only let loose off-road never on road I just don't want my truck to have to be hauled everywhere

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.