Brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2011, 02:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Brakes

Hi everyone I have a brake problem on my 31 ford coupe i have disc brakes,
i had to bend my brake pedal in a Z shape to clear my ex haul and steering. i have a new 7" booster and 1" bore master cylinder, i bled the cylinder and brake lines still no pedal and when i start my rod the pedal goes to the floor.
I need help from you experience hot rodders.
Thanks
Chiecoq

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2011, 05:50 PM
Last photo:

That sounds like a bad booster. How are you bleeding the brakes?

Vince
Old 08-16-2011, 12:35 AM

Last photo:

More information

1. Where is the master cylinder located? Firewall or under the floorboard?

2. If its under the floorboard, do you have 2lb residual valves installed?

3. When you made this Z shaped brake pedal did you have someone check it while you pushed the brake pedal down to make sure it is pushing the rod in the master cylinder all the way forward and then coming all the way back?

4. How did you bleed the brakes?

5. Did you ever have a firm pedal even for a short time?
Old 08-16-2011, 06:57 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

We do need more info as to what kind of calipers you have and was it a new or rebuilt MC.

As far as bending the pedal arm, it should have little or nothing to do with changing the ratio so rule that out. I had to bend mine as well.

If you are using Wilwood or other specialty calipers, you have to open the upper bleeder screw to remove the air. If they are GM or other OEM caliper modified for use, that bleeder has to be on top. Air will always be at the top and no amount of bleeding will remove it - ever.

Did you bench bleed the MC? If it's the Corvette type, they hold a lot of air and even bench bleeding it seems to take a while.

If that MC is a rebuilt, gotta say, some are junk.

You do need residual valves in the lines. If it's 4 wheel discs, 2 pounds front and rear. If you have rear drums, a 10 pounder in that line.

Is the MC plumbed correctly? The large chamber is for the front and since the MC is usually turned around, occasionally they get done incorrectly. There are some that say it doesn't matter, but I disagree with that.

Do you have a correct length MC operating rod? Is it adjusted to just minimal clearance in a free state?

Dave W
Old 08-16-2011, 10:07 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiecoq
Hi everyone I have a brake problem on my 31 ford coupe i have disc brakes,
i had to bend my brake pedal in a Z shape to clear my ex haul and steering. i have a new 7" booster and 1" bore master cylinder, i bled the cylinder and brake lines still no pedal and when i start my rod the pedal goes to the floor.
I need help from you experience hot rodders.
Thanks
Chiecoq

If the 7" booster is a single diaphragm, it isn't worth using. You will need a dual diaphragm at a minimum.

The bore size of the master when using a booster should be 1 1/8" to work and yield some pedal for 4 wheel disc brakes.

Most important when running disc brakes all around with a booster is to have the pedal ratio close to 4:1. Most aftermarket pedals come configured for a non boosted setup and have a pedal ratio of 6:1. This is why you are not getting any pedal or at best a very low pedal.

Basic rule of thumb.

Non power assisted brakes...6:1 or even 7:1 pedal ratio. 7/8" -1" bore master cylinder. Yields higher line pressure and requires less pressure applied by your foot to the brake pedal. The reservoir must be able to hold enough capacity to fully move the wheel cylinders.

Power assisted brakes...3:1 or 4:1 pedal ratio. 1 1/8" bore master cylinder. A minimum of a 7" dual diaphram booster.

For under the floor mounted master cylinder...If disc brakes on installed on the front, have a 2 p.s.i. residual valve installed in the front line close to the master cylinder. If drum brakes or GM disc brake calipers with the built in parking brake are installed on the rear, run a 10 p.s.i. residual valve installed in the rear line close to the master cylinder. Most other disc brake calipers installed on the rear will only require a 2 p.s.i. residual valve.

For either firewall mounted or under the floor mounted master cylinder, install an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear line to enable you to 'balance' the braking bias from front to rear. Normally, you do not want the rear brakes to lock up before the front brakes.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
That sounds like a bad booster. How are you bleeding the brakes?

Vince
This is a new 7" booster and Master cylinder. I bench bled the Master cylinder and bled my lines starting at the RR, LR, RF AND LF ABOUT 4 TIMES.
STILL VERY LITTLE PEDAL?
Thanks
chiecoq
Old 08-17-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodMan
1. Where is the master cylinder located? Firewall or under the floorboard?

2. If its under the floorboard, do you have 2lb residual valves installed?

3. When you made this Z shaped brake pedal did you have someone check it while you pushed the brake pedal down to make sure it is pushing the rod in the master cylinder all the way forward and then coming all the way back?

4. How did you bleed the brakes?

5. Did you ever have a firm pedal even for a short time?
Reply to your questions
1. MY MC is under the floor board
2.Ido have a 2lb residual valve for the front brakes
3. My pedal goes all the way to the floor
4. Ibench bled the MC and bled my brakes starting at the RR, LR, RF AND LF ABOUT 5 TIMES.
5. Verry little pedal
Old 08-17-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
We do need more info as to what kind of calipers you have and was it a new or rebuilt MC.

As far as bending the pedal arm, it should have little or nothing to do with changing the ratio so rule that out. I had to bend mine as well.

If you are using Wilwood or other specialty calipers, you have to open the upper bleeder screw to remove the air. If they are GM or other OEM caliper modified for use, that bleeder has to be on top. Air will always be at the top and no amount of bleeding will remove it - ever.

Did you bench bleed the MC? If it's the Corvette type, they hold a lot of air and even bench bleeding it seems to take a while.

MC is a rebuilt, gotta say, some are junk.

You do need residual valves in the lines. If it's 4 wheel discs, 2 pounds front and rear. If you have rear drums, a 10 pounder in that line.

Is the MC plumbed correctly? The large chamber is for the front and since the MC is usually turned around, occasionally they get done incorrectly. There are some that say it doesn't matter, but I disagree with that.

Do you have a correct length MC operating rod? Is it adjusted to just minimal clearance in a free state?

Dave W
Dave
I bench bled the MC twice and bled my lines 5 times starting at RR, LR, RF and LF. MY Booster, and my MC are new i have a residual valve for the front brakes and a proportional valve for the rear. I don't know who made the calibers, but the bleed valves are on the top.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiecoq
Dave
I bench bled the MC twice and bled my lines 5 times starting at RR, LR, RF and LF. MY Booster, and my MC are new i have a residual valve for the front brakes and a proportional valve for the rear. I don't know who made the calibers, but the bleed valves are on the top.
Read my post above again.

With disc brakes at all four corners you will need residual valves on both the front and the rear brake lines. If you are using GM calipers in the rear with the built in parking brake, then the residual valve in the rear line must be a 10 p.s.i. unit. The proportioning valve in the rear brake line is to balance out the brake bias between the front and rear.

The pedal ratio is very important when using power brake boosters. The pedal ratio should be no more than 4:1 with power brakes or you will get either a very low pedal or no pedal at all.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco
Read my post above again.

With disc brakes at all four corners you will need residual valves on both the front and the rear brake lines. If you are using GM calipers in the rear with the built in parking brake, then the residual valve in the rear line must be a 10 p.s.i. unit. The proportioning valve in the rear brake line is to balance out the brake bias between the front and rear.

The pedal ratio is very important when using power brake boosters. The pedal ratio should be no more than 4:1 with power brakes or you will get either a very low pedal or no pedal at all.
Frisco
Then i need a residual valve for the rear brakes 10psi. I found out that my calibers in the rear are GM with the built in parking brake
Thanks Frisco
Chiecoq

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.