Hot Rod Forum banner

Brakes for a 29 Ford Roadster

5K views 53 replies 11 participants last post by  speedydeedy 
#1 ·
I have run out of options. It appears that I may have to cut the front end off my car and extend my frame rails just to install front brakes on my car. I can't even find anyone who can tell me the year of my spindles - they are probably not stock - but they could be). I was hoping to install disc brakes on my spindles to avoid problems with steering arms, ect. but no has been able to help. Ideas? Thanks, roby

#33 ·
Youngster, I think he is refering to the hoop style made of round bar. There are different ones made of flat plate without integral bolt so you could use whatever length bolts are needed instead of being stuck with fixed studs that might be too short depending on which brake set up you use. :thumbup:

#34 ·
Youngster, I went back and read your post about not using his current spindles and you are correct. I spoke to him about which kit he ordered and he ordered the big brake truck kit to retain the 5X5.5" lug pattern. He now realizes that these are for the truck spindles and not the 37 to 41 car ones.So he is checking his rear bolt pattern to make a decision on going with truck spindles are exchanging the kit for a car kit.

#35 ·
Brake for a 29 ford Roadster

Speedydeedy...You just jogged my memory. We used the kit for the earlier brakes because of the steering arm problem. The kit for the late model brakes has a cast caliper bracket that makes it impossible to use the hoop arm . The other kit has a flat stock mount with 3 holes in it. We had no problem with the hoop arm. The flat stock steering arm is hard to find for the Ford spindles Everything I've seen the last few years is for a Chevy spindle. I personally don't like the 3/4'' thick arms with the blind holes in them. The only locking option you have is to use Loc-tite, and for me that's just not good enough.

Key...I hope this dosen't cause a problem for you. The old memory just sin't as sharp as it once was. :(

Youngster

#36 ·
Call me "confused!"

Now, I'm really confused. I was thinking that all I needed to do is order the right disc brake kit for a 37-41 Ford spindle. I will go with 4 1/2 inch since that is what I have on the back (Seedydeedy - I measered them). If I use the spindle's that Speedy has, they have the same lower steering arms I now have. All I need is to order an upper steering arm for the driver's side.

Are you saying I will have problems getting an upper steering arm that will work? OMG... this is complicated. Thanks guys. rvk

#38 ·
Key said:
Now, I'm really confused. All I need is to order an upper steering arm for the driver's side.

Are you saying I will have problems getting an upper steering arm that will work? OMG... this is complicated. Thanks guys. rvk
Not a problem, just a decision as to what will work and what to order. Below are some pictures from the Speedway site of Ford upper steering arms. Left click on the picture for a larger view. Depending on what disc brake adapters you have will determine whether you can use the "hoop" style. The others shown should all work. Read the info in the Speedway catalog ( paper catalog or online) concerning the longer arms. Here are the Speedway part numbers.

Early Ford flame cut plain with tapered hole # 916-32007
Early Ford flame cut chrome with tapered hole # 916-32006

Extra long early Ford flame cut plain with tapered hole # 916-32011
Extra long early Ford flame cut chrome with tapered hole # 916-32010

Early Ford dog leg style flame cut plain with tapered hole # 916-32015
Early Ford dog leg style flame cut chrome with tapered hole # 916-32014

Hoop style for '37- '48 Ford spindles with tapered hole # 720-4010

Attachments

#39 ·

Roby ...I can understand your confusion. Believe me when I say ''We've all been there!'' The disc brake thing always seems to become a trial and error process. I hope this works out for you. If you have problems, come back here and let us know. There's a huge knowledge base on this forum. All of us together will get her done.

Youngster

#40 ·
Thanks!!

I've spent years restoring the tri-fives and old mustangs. First attempt to work on a Model A. I guess that is why I'm so frustrated by all this. I really don't know what I'd do without you guys.

I'll definitely get back on and let you guys know how it is going. Thanks again!!! roby

#43 ·
Yes you can do it. Just wanted to tell you sometimes king pins are rusted to axle and can be a problem to remove. First remove the retaining bolt then use a punch and tap the king pin out the top. If stuck use bigger hammer,If still stuck heat end of axle with torch till you can get it out.Let cool naturally.Then clean any rust out of axle and trial fit new pins before trying to install spindles. It is ok to tap them in, but you should not have to beat them in.Line up notch in king pin with retainer bolt hole as you install pin.Then tap in retainer bolt and tighten. then grease them and you are good to go. Let me know when you get them and if you have any problems. :thumbup:

#44 ·

Roby... I doubt you will have any trouble getting the old king pins out since the spindles are of a different year than your axle.

One thing I might add here. You want to use king pins that are for the year of your spindles. The ones you have on your car now are too short. The ones for the late '41 to '48 spindles will be too long. Get a king pin set for the '37 to '40 spindles.

Be sure to remove the old bushings from the spindles and replace them with the new ones from the kingpin set. Some times you need to tap the king pin in place. You should be able to move the spindle back and forth on the king pin by hand. It might be a little stiff, but it should move. When you install the bushings be sure to line the holes in the bushings up with the grease zerks on the spindle.

You should be able to do this yourself, no problem.

Youngster

#47 ·
Roby, Go to your photo album page 2. Look at picture "Passenger side spindle" below brass circle to back of axle there is a nut. It is hard to see but looks like the nut for the king pin retaining bolt. loosen this nut and tap it to the front and you should see a round pin coming out the front.The retaining bolt has no head on the front of axle only in the back. Hope this helps if not post a close up of where king pin goes through axle front and rear.

#48 · (Edited)
Key said:
I got the new spindles today. I don't see a pin going through the King Pin. Is there one in order to get the King Pin out? rvk
The pin does not go thru the kingpin. It goes thru the axle and prevents the kingpin from rotating in the axle. You will see a relief in one side of the kingpin. This is to be lined up with the hole in the axle for the retaining pin to fit correctly. The kingpin retainer is a tapered pin that goes thru the axle from the front and is held in place by a long nut on the rear. This nut also acts as a steering stop.

Below are some pictures to clarify. Left click for a larger view. One shows an arrow where the kingpin retaining pin is located. One shows the retaining pin. One shows the retaining pin nut. The last shows a repair kit showing the kingpin, kingpin retaining pin, kingpin retaining pin nut as well as various bushings for the spindles.

Attachments

#49 ·
Thanks!

I may just need to order a king pin repair kit. I don't have all the washers included in the kit. And it may be good to have new kingpin retrainer pins or nuts.

The spindle's have the kingpins in them. Do I need just tap them out from the bottom? I assume there is nothing holding them in right now. Right?

Not sure what all the pieces are for in the kingpin repair kit. there seems to be a cloth washer, four socket looking circles on the top row of the picture of the repair kit.

Some of this may come together when I take the old spindles off. thanks for the great pictures and explanation. roby

#50 · (Edited)
The king pins are new and will come out by lightly tapping up from the bottom. I don't think you need a whole kit just new retainer bolts. The bearings that are on the new spindles go under the axle boss. I only had 1 shim but when you get your old spindles off yours may still be good and you may not need any.Let me know when you get the old ones off. I will try to explain but Frisco seems to do a better job of explaining and posting pics to help. :thumbup:The socket looking things on top row are the bushings. The new bushings have already been installed and reamed in yours. The felt washers are grease seals and are already on your new king pins under the top washer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.