Hot Rod Forum banner

Brakes for a 29 Ford Roadster

5K views 53 replies 11 participants last post by  speedydeedy 
#1 ·
I have run out of options. It appears that I may have to cut the front end off my car and extend my frame rails just to install front brakes on my car. I can't even find anyone who can tell me the year of my spindles - they are probably not stock - but they could be). I was hoping to install disc brakes on my spindles to avoid problems with steering arms, ect. but no has been able to help. Ideas? Thanks, roby

#52 · (Edited)
Key said:
I may just need to order a king pin repair kit. I don't have all the washers included in the kit. And it may be good to have new kingpin retrainer pins or nuts.

The spindle's have the kingpins in them. Do I need just tap them out from the bottom? I assume there is nothing holding them in right now. Right?

Not sure what all the pieces are for in the kingpin repair kit. there seems to be a cloth washer, four socket looking circles on the top row of the picture of the repair kit.

Some of this may come together when I take the old spindles off. thanks for the great pictures and explanation. roby
Those are not washers. They are thin shims to use if required between the bearing and the axle to keep any up/down play in that area to a minimum. If you need additional shims, they should be available at any good (not Autozone or Advance Auto) auto parts store or any Ford dealership. If you do need new kingpin retainer pins and nuts as well as any other parts shown in the pictures that I posted; go to Mac's Auto Parts and search under the V-8 catalog for the parts you need.

speedydeedy has covered your other questions very well.

Here is a parts list from Mac's that you might find helpful if you need additional parts.

Spindle repair kit #78-3111 @ $37.25 set
Kingpin retaining pin #B2122 @ $1.95 each 2 required
Kingpin retaining pin nut #B3124 @ $2.90 each 2 required
Felt cup #A3120 @ $.65 each 2 required
Grease retainer felt #B3125 @ $.45 each 2 required
.020 thick bearing shim #78-3107 @ $.040 each
Thrust bearing #B3123 @ $7.35 each 2 required

#53 ·
Thanks!

I think I have it all down. My car is still at the spring shop having coil-over spirngs installed in the rear. I should have it home by this weekend (hopefully). I can then begin working on the front end. Thank you both (Speedydeedy and Frisco) for your help. I'll check back in with you as I progress. roby

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.