Hot Rod Forum banner

Brakes for a 29 Ford Roadster

5K views 53 replies 11 participants last post by  speedydeedy 
#1 ·
I have run out of options. It appears that I may have to cut the front end off my car and extend my frame rails just to install front brakes on my car. I can't even find anyone who can tell me the year of my spindles - they are probably not stock - but they could be). I was hoping to install disc brakes on my spindles to avoid problems with steering arms, ect. but no has been able to help. Ideas? Thanks, roby

#5 ·
Brake for a 29 ford Roadster

Key.. I've looked back at your other posts. I can't say for certain, but I think it looks like you have '42 to '48 spindles on your car. If you can post a picture of them we could tell you for sure.

Speedway sells a kit for about $300 that I've used on a Model A coupe. The catalog says they are too big and heavy for T's and early roadsters but they have worked just fine. We used the metric kit with a 4 3/4'' lug nut pattern.

Youngster

#6 ·

Does your spindles LOOK like the one in the photo ...
They are 37 to 41 Ford ... and if they look like that but are square backed instead of round ... they are 42 to 48.

Go here ... for the complete conversion http://www.flatheadv8.org/f1brakes1.htm

56 F-100 brakes would not require a booster ... and stop very well in a lightweight rod.

#7 ·

I couldn't agree more with Deuce. When I looked at your other posts, you were talking about disc brakes. The F-1 or F-100 brakes would be much simpler to put on your car and would give you all the stopping power you want. Again, look to Speedway for the bearings you will need. They sell them in kit form. You will have a tough time trying to beat the $40 kit price at NAPA.

Youngster

#11 ·

OK... I got good news and I got bad news. The good news is you have '32 to ''34 spindles. The bad news is although it is possible to adapt either disc or drum brakes to these spindles, it would be easier to use a set of '37 to '41 or '42 to '48 spindles.

The holes in the early spindle where the backing plate bolts up are 3/8'' and the backing plate on the later Ford drums are 1/2''. The spindle shaft is smaller and would need an adapter kit to use the later wheel hubs.

You have the choice of '40 to '48 drums, F-1 or F-100 drums from ''48 to '56 or a disc brake kit. I guess I would lean towards the F-1 or F-100 set up with your rear end.

Youngster

#12 ·
32-34 Spindles

I'm thrilled you have identified my spindles. Everyone else has told me that they are Model A spindles (but no year).

I would prefer Disc brakes. They are better brakes and appear to cost much less than the parts available on Speedway's website.

What kind of "adapter kit" are you referring to to make later model brakes work on my spindles?

Also, could we simply drill the back plate holes to 1/2 inch? It is good news that they are too small. It is easy to make then larger.

What do you think? rvk

#16 ·
The disk brake kits at Speedway contain the adapters....they consist of bushings to go on your spindles and new bearings to fit the brake rotors and hubs that you will be putting on, the kit contains the brackets to mount the calipers, and of course you get the calipers, rotors and hubs, and brake pads. I used this kit on my Mode A....it all fit perfectly on my 37 Ford type spindles. Its really the cheapest way to go I think....unless you already have some of the brake parts.

#18 ·
Key said:
I actually have considered just cutting off the entire front end and grafting in an IFS. Thanks, rvk
No, no, that would just be wrong. You have a Ford and don't need to re-invnet the wheel, it has all been done.
Also consider this. You may find a rotor that fits your hub from a 1/2 ton pickup.
What I did was find an out of the box rotor ($22 each new) Then I went to the local dirt track racer store and bought weld on brackets for the GM calipers. Modify the brackets to fit and bolt or weld them on. I think I have about $120 into the whole works. I still need a mc and plumbing but you cant get much cheaper than that for all new parts.

#19 ·
:)

You are right. I don't want to do that. I have ordered a disc brake kit from Speedway and my mechanic and I are going to try to figure out a way to make it work. Worst case scenerio will be that I will also need new spindles, which will then require new steering arms and possibly some redesign to my steering remaining arms. Never ending... or so it seems. Thanks, roby

#20 ·

The holes for the backing plate on the spindles you have are spaced 3'' on center. These same holes on the later spindles and your disc brake caliper mount are 3 1/4'' on center. This means you will have to offset the 1/2'' holes 1/8'' toward the outside of the spindle. In other words, you can't just use the existing holes as a guide for the drilling. Added to this is the fact that there is only 1/4'' between the hole in your spindle and the edge of the flange. This means your 1/2'' hole will be right at the edge of the flange. From the safety aspect this is not acceptable.

To bolt the disc brake kit you ordered on you are going to have to replace your spindles with ones from a '37 to '48 Ford. You will also need to get a king pin set to match the year of spindles. If you use a hoop type steering arm, you should be able to use your current drag link.

Sounds like the long way around the barn I know, but this will give you a safe, reliable and serviceable set up. I suspect the cost of doing this right is why you have the set up that's on the car now.

What is the part number of the disc brake kit you ordered from Speedway?

To answer your question about the brass thing on top of the spindle, if you pop the brass plug off, you will find your king pin is hollow. The ball part of the pin held a bell crank that was used to acuate the mechanical brakes that were used on these types of spindles.

One last thing for you to consider, you will probably have to up grade your master cylinder as part of the disc brake conversion. And more than likely add a booster.

Youngster

#21 ·
I have an extra set of 37 to 48 spindles with new king pins if you need them. When I bought my project it was unfinished and these spindles would not work on my axle because they have the arms on them from the factory and I needed the bolt on arms to clear my axle. I was lucky he had already purchased new aftermarket spindles so I just had to buy arms.

#22 ·
Gee you are terrific. Wish you lived in Fort Worth

I ordered the following disc brake kit...

91031909 Complete 5-1/2" Disc Brake Kit For Early Ford $319.99 $319.99

I can order the spindles and a new king pin (if i can figure out what king pin to order - since I have no idea what front axle I have). I will also struggle with which steering arms to order to, but can probably figure it out. I want to do it right.

I can put in a new master cylinder, but have no room for a booster (at least where the cylinder is now) -- see picture in my gallery.

Thank you VERY much for your help. roby

#23 · (Edited)
Seedydeedy

speedydeedy said:
I have an extra set of 37 to 48 spindles with new king pins if you need them. When I bought my project it was unfinished and these spindles would not work on my axle because they have the arms on them from the factory and I needed the bolt on arms to clear my axle. I was lucky he had already purchased new aftermarket spindles so I just had to buy arms.
Thanks, since the steering arms are on them from the factory, are you thinking they are exactly like my steering arms? Wouldn't that be wonderful? If so, how much do you want for them? Also, do king pins such as yours fit any front axle?

Forgive the dumb questions, just don't know this stuff. roby

#24 ·

Roby...Speedydeedy's spindles and king pins will work with the disc brake kit you ordered. Chances are real good your tie rod will fit also. You will still need to get a spindle steering arm. We used the Speedway hoop on the Model A. It's a good idea to reweld the bung for the tie rod end in it. The one we received was only welded on the top side. I welded it all the way around just to be safe.

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress, Youngster.

#26 ·
I wouldn't even think of removing the front end JUST because you are having a hard time finding brakes. Believe me, if you think figuring out how to add brakes is hard, swapping out the front end is 100 times as difficult. Just put some discs as has been suggested and go have FUN!

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.