brakes going to floor but still working - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009, 05:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

brakes going to floor but still working

I have a 1988 Toyota pickup
I changed the wheel cylinders and master cylinder rotors and calipers about 8 months ago everything was good then last week I had to hit my brakes hard in order to stop before hitting the car in front of me. the peddle went down to the floor after that, I checked the rear brake cylinders one had fluid inside the boots I changed with another cylinder i had re bleed the system , the brakes worked ok then I had to stop short again now the brake peddle is down almost to the floor again , they still ar working but not good.
should i replace the rear cylinders or master cylinder don't see any fluid leaking, ever hear of this problem? I need to check the whole system again I guess

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Saitek5678

saitek5678

replace the master cylinder
Old 08-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Saitek5678

saitek5678

AGAIN. You recieved a bad master cylinder.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdude1
I checked the rear brake cylinders one had fluid inside the boots I changed with another cylinder i had re bleed the system , the brakes worked ok then I had to stop short again now the brake peddle is down almost to the floor again , they still ar working but not good.
should i replace the rear cylinders or master cylinder don't see any fluid leaking
Seems that you blew a rear wheel cylinder. You changed that and re-bled the system. Since the same thing has happened again, you possibly have blown out another wheel cylinder. Seems likely since they all are probably the same age. When one goes, it is best to replace them all.

Check closely for any leaks in the system. Are all the bleeder valves tightened after you re-bled the system? If the brakes get better after pumping the pedal, you might re-bleed the system again as you probably still have some air in the lines.

How much free play do you have at the brake pedal? If this is zero, you may not have the master cylinder pushrod adjusted correctly and this will not allow the master cylinder to fully return after applying the brakes. You should have 1/4"-1/2" free travel at the top of the brake pedal.

Another thing to check (if you have drum brakes in the rear) is the brake adjustment. If the rear drum brakes are not adjusted correctly, you will have a low pedal.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.