Brakes hanging up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 06:47 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Brakes hanging up

My front disc brakes "hang up" once in a while. This is on my Hi boy. I have a dual master cylinder mounted below floor. I do have a prop. valve and residual valves on front and back. If i crack open the bleeder on caliper it releases pressure and all is fine for a little while. Could I have a faulty front Res. valve? I thought that I saw a little brake fluid at fitting going to res. valve, but wiped off and did not see any more. Not losing any noticable amount of fluid.
Also to add that pedal normally has non power brake feel until the problem occurs, then the pedal is "stiff" with no play at the top. I haven't taken anything apart yet. Wanted to get feedback first.
Thanks
Rick

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2009, 07:03 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Having a front RV will cause fluid to come out of the bleeder.

Limit residual valve to about 2 lbs. This is if the MC is below the level of the calipers.

The MC push rod length may need adjusting. Usually a bit of free play is needed.

The piston/seal may be sticking in the bore of the caliper.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Dave's hot Rod Shop

adjust the free play in the peddle. you need about 1/8 or so. Other wise it will not uncover the return bleed hole in the M/C. If that does not do it, look at the caliper it self. They can stick.

Dave Tallant
Daves Hot Rod shop KC Mo
Old 04-03-2009, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am sure it is not the caliper because it is BOTH calipers. I will check rod free play again, but I believe it is OK. I sort of ruled out the MC piston staying in because the pedal got stiffer at the top than usual. My thinking on this was that if the piston were staying in, I would have MORE play at the top of the pedal.
Thanks
Rick
Old 04-03-2009, 01:10 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

What type of brake system did the prop. valve come from- all disc, all drum or half and half?
Old 04-04-2009, 06:23 AM

Prop. valve is new aftermarket adjustable. I put about 300 miles on car since that was installed, along with residual valves.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

They make two different types of residual pressure valves -- 2 pounders and 10 pounders. The 10 pounders are for drum brakes, the 2 pounders are for disc brakes. Check to make sure you have the correct ones installed for your application...if you have 10 pound residual pressure valve installed in a disc brake application, the pressure you induce when you apply the brake will stay in the system until you relieve the pressure, i.e. open the caliper bleeder.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.