Brakes hanging up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2012, 11:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Brakes hanging up

Just bought a 40 Willy's with a S-10 front end. It has disc brakes all around. I unloaded it and took it for a ride around the neighborhood. After going a couple of blocks I could feel the brakes dragging when I let off of the gas. I also noticed that the brake pedal was now with out any play to speak of. When I got back to the house I put it up on the lift and the front calipers were to hot to put my hand on. The rear ones I could leave my hands on. Can someone tell me where to start. The calipers are the originals with new brake pads.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 08:36 AM

Last photo:

brakes

with a little luck.. ck the push rod from the bk peddle to the m/c. it might not have clearance or a little slop. i needs to jiggle a tad so as not build up pressure and hold it... been there done that.. cost me a tow truck fee...
Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 PM

Last photo:

couple of things to check, make sure the master is not over full, also check to see if there is a external residual check valve, if there is, there might be one in the master as well, therefor holding to much pressure. you can also open the bleeder screws and try pushing back the caliper piston. it should go back with little resistances. the front calipers could be getting sticky. this will usually show up after someone has forced them back to install new pads. hope this is a bit of help. good luck.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:15 PM

Last photo:

Brakes hanging up

Thanks for the heads-up on the things that you guys pointed out. I spent the day getting the registration and getting insurance. Tomorrow I will check for the easy fixes first like the fluid reservoir, check valves, push rod between the M/C and the peddle and then I will probably pull the front components off. I can get rebuilt calipers for $15 each and the rotors turned for the same amount. I was also told to replace the flex hoses that go to the calipers as they can collapse when they get old and I have no idea how old they are. Any more ideas are more than welcome. Thanks and I will keep you posted.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:17 AM

Last photo:

Brakes hanging up

Well I have the front end back together and everything seems to be working well. I also found that the vibration that I had when decelerating from around 60 MPH is gone. Thanks again.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.