Hot Rod Forum banner

brakes locking up and stumped

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  spinn 
#1 ·
i have an issue with my wifes 07 chevy colorado. i know this is a hotrod forum but im sure someone can help. both front calipers are sticking after a long drive but when they cool down they unstick and i cant figure it out. any ideas??

#2 ·
I will relate a GM sticking brake issue I had one time. New 92 Olds Bravada was eating brake pads, dealer told me brakes were too small for the vehicle and I needed to get used to it. While checking things with the front brakes I noticed the calipers were extremely difficult to remove and re-install into the bracket. I got to checking and the clearance was way too tight between the caliper and the bracket. I opened them up a bit and my problem went away.
When the truck was driven, the brakes would get warm/hot and the caliper would stick, the more you drove the worse it got, once cool it was fine.

#3 ·
scottsdale kid said:
i have an issue with my wifes 07 chevy colorado. i know this is a hotrod forum but im sure someone can help. both front calipers are sticking after a long drive but when they cool down they unstick and i cant figure it out. any ideas??
My first thought is the ABS system. You could pull the fuse for the ABS system so the motor will not run but I only suggest this as a test and only drive on dry roads while doing this test. If this fixes it, there is something wrong with the ABS system, (controller, solenoid, etc.) maybe needing bled but I believe you have to have a scan tool to operate the ABS controller so it can be bled.

#4 ·
okay. im really used to old vehicles not this new junk. first time it happened i cracked the bleeder and nothing came out, then i put my biggest prybar in to push the pistons in and after about 20 pulls it finally gave and fluid came out of the bleeder. ive called on recalls and even went into alldata to see frequent issues, but no luck.

#5 ·
scottsdale kid said:
okay. im really used to old vehicles not this new junk. first time it happened i cracked the bleeder and nothing came out, then i put my biggest prybar in to push the pistons in and after about 20 pulls it finally gave and fluid came out of the bleeder. ive called on recalls and even went into alldata to see frequent issues, but no luck.
You could try bleeding them first and see if that helps. Just do it the conventional way as with older vehicles. It may just be air in the system since you said there was no fluid when you cracked the bleeder. Sometimes one caliper will freeze up due to rust or contaminates in the system but usually not both.

#6 ·
scottsdale kid said:
That could mean nothing as the bleeder could have been plugged.
Clean the other one out to be sure it is open. Then drive it until the issue arrises. When it does, stop and crawl under, crack open the bleeder to see if fluid runs out. If no fluid runs out, get back in to see if brakes are still dragging. If they are still dragging,then the pistons are seizing in the caliper bores, and need rebuilt.
If fluid runs out and the brake releases, then the rubber hose is likely blocked.
If both sides are Dragging and you open one side and both release , then I would suspect a blocked compensating port in the master cylinder.
It could be an ABS problem, but if that is the case pulling the fuse to defeat the ABS wont prove anything.
Are you sure it is both front or just one side? Both dragging would most likely be something other than an ABS unit failure as the fronts are controlled independantly, where most rears are paired together.
Do you have 4 wheel ABS?

#7 ·
scottsdale kid said:
After re-reading this post and seeing where you say it took 20 pulls to push the piston back in, I would take each caliper off and make sure the slider rods/pins work freely.

#8 ·
S10 Racer said:
After re-reading this post and seeing where you say it took 20 pulls to push the piston back in, I would take each caliper off and make sure the slider rods/pins work freely.
X2 or just go ahead and get a rebuild kit and rebuild them. JMO you should be able to kit the kit for i don't know $30 or so. IMHO or re-place the calipers all together.

Cole
:pimp:

#10 ·
Gm Bad Brake Hoses

I could not believe what I found when my Tahoe did the same thing.

There was a batch of front flex brake hoses that deteriorate internally and block fluid flow... in either or both directions.

The dang truck nearly caught on fire one day - smoke ROLLING out of the passenger's side wheelwell. FRIED everything in the brakes. And to answer your next question, yea, it was pulling to the right, and I kept driving. I won't do THAT again.

Take them off and be sure they are clear.

#11 ·
scottsdale kid said:
slider rods were greased good and they along with the boots are new. but i replaced the calipers and now the damn system wont bleed!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did you put them on the right sides. There is a left and a right. The bleeder needs to be at the top.
I have seen this mistake many times.

#13 ·
[QUOTE='49 Ford Coupe]I could not believe what I found when my Tahoe did the same thing.

There was a batch of front flex brake hoses that deteriorate internally and block fluid flow... in either or both directions.

The dang truck nearly caught on fire one day - smoke ROLLING out of the passenger's side wheelwell. FRIED everything in the brakes. And to answer your next question, yea, it was pulling to the right, and I kept driving. I won't do THAT again.

Take them off and be sure they are clear.[/QUOTE]

If it is this your story too , i agree it is a comon thing. The rubber lines cooked on the inside you have a flapper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.