brakes locking up and stumped - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 03:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

brakes locking up and stumped

i have an issue with my wifes 07 chevy colorado. i know this is a hotrod forum but im sure someone can help. both front calipers are sticking after a long drive but when they cool down they unstick and i cant figure it out. any ideas??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I will relate a GM sticking brake issue I had one time. New 92 Olds Bravada was eating brake pads, dealer told me brakes were too small for the vehicle and I needed to get used to it. While checking things with the front brakes I noticed the calipers were extremely difficult to remove and re-install into the bracket. I got to checking and the clearance was way too tight between the caliper and the bracket. I opened them up a bit and my problem went away.
When the truck was driven, the brakes would get warm/hot and the caliper would stick, the more you drove the worse it got, once cool it was fine.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:27 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsdale kid
i have an issue with my wifes 07 chevy colorado. i know this is a hotrod forum but im sure someone can help. both front calipers are sticking after a long drive but when they cool down they unstick and i cant figure it out. any ideas??
My first thought is the ABS system. You could pull the fuse for the ABS system so the motor will not run but I only suggest this as a test and only drive on dry roads while doing this test. If this fixes it, there is something wrong with the ABS system, (controller, solenoid, etc.) maybe needing bled but I believe you have to have a scan tool to operate the ABS controller so it can be bled.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:53 PM

okay. im really used to old vehicles not this new junk. first time it happened i cracked the bleeder and nothing came out, then i put my biggest prybar in to push the pistons in and after about 20 pulls it finally gave and fluid came out of the bleeder. ive called on recalls and even went into alldata to see frequent issues, but no luck.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
okay. im really used to old vehicles not this new junk. first time it happened i cracked the bleeder and nothing came out, then i put my biggest prybar in to push the pistons in and after about 20 pulls it finally gave and fluid came out of the bleeder. ive called on recalls and even went into alldata to see frequent issues, but no luck.
You could try bleeding them first and see if that helps. Just do it the conventional way as with older vehicles. It may just be air in the system since you said there was no fluid when you cracked the bleeder. Sometimes one caliper will freeze up due to rust or contaminates in the system but usually not both.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
That could mean nothing as the bleeder could have been plugged.
Clean the other one out to be sure it is open. Then drive it until the issue arrises. When it does, stop and crawl under, crack open the bleeder to see if fluid runs out. If no fluid runs out, get back in to see if brakes are still dragging. If they are still dragging,then the pistons are seizing in the caliper bores, and need rebuilt.
If fluid runs out and the brake releases, then the rubber hose is likely blocked.
If both sides are Dragging and you open one side and both release , then I would suspect a blocked compensating port in the master cylinder.
It could be an ABS problem, but if that is the case pulling the fuse to defeat the ABS wont prove anything.
Are you sure it is both front or just one side? Both dragging would most likely be something other than an ABS unit failure as the fronts are controlled independantly, where most rears are paired together.
Do you have 4 wheel ABS?
Old 06-15-2012, 05:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
After re-reading this post and seeing where you say it took 20 pulls to push the piston back in, I would take each caliper off and make sure the slider rods/pins work freely.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
After re-reading this post and seeing where you say it took 20 pulls to push the piston back in, I would take each caliper off and make sure the slider rods/pins work freely.
X2 or just go ahead and get a rebuild kit and rebuild them. JMO you should be able to kit the kit for i don't know $30 or so. IMHO or re-place the calipers all together.

Cole
Old 06-16-2012, 10:55 AM

slider rods were greased good and they along with the boots are new. but i replaced the calipers and now the damn system wont bleed!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2012, 12:43 PM

Last photo:

Gm Bad Brake Hoses

I could not believe what I found when my Tahoe did the same thing.

There was a batch of front flex brake hoses that deteriorate internally and block fluid flow... in either or both directions.

The dang truck nearly caught on fire one day - smoke ROLLING out of the passenger's side wheelwell. FRIED everything in the brakes. And to answer your next question, yea, it was pulling to the right, and I kept driving. I won't do THAT again.

Take them off and be sure they are clear.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
slider rods were greased good and they along with the boots are new. but i replaced the calipers and now the damn system wont bleed!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did you put them on the right sides. There is a left and a right. The bleeder needs to be at the top.
I have seen this mistake many times.

Chet
Old 06-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Fought beside and with you 92'

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Sounds like your hydraulic rubber lines have developed a flapper. The lines going to the caliper have a same obstruction that gets worse when heat up.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Fought beside and with you 92'

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by '49 Ford Coupe
I could not believe what I found when my Tahoe did the same thing.

There was a batch of front flex brake hoses that deteriorate internally and block fluid flow... in either or both directions.

The dang truck nearly caught on fire one day - smoke ROLLING out of the passenger's side wheelwell. FRIED everything in the brakes. And to answer your next question, yea, it was pulling to the right, and I kept driving. I won't do THAT again.

Take them off and be sure they are clear.
If it is this your story too , i agree it is a comon thing. The rubber lines cooked on the inside you have a flapper.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.