brakes sticking - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2008, 01:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

brakes sticking

My rear brakes on my 1999 chevy 1/2 ton needed replaced. They are disc brakes. I had the rotors turned down and put on bendix pads. Everything seem to go okay. When i went to test drive it for 4 miles and came back
I could smell the rear brakes. They were so hot that my aluminum rims were
to hot to touch. The next day I jacked it up and put it in neutral and tried to move the wheels and they were stuck. I took everything off and tried it again and they did the same thing. It seems to me that the piston is not working but they were working when i took them off. Any suggestions would be appreciated

marcus

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

I would strongly recommend you take it to someone. It sounds like you assembled something wrong. Brakes are nothing to play with. If you don't know, take it to someone, it could mean your life
Old 04-26-2008, 06:28 PM

i understand what you are saying. I have changed brakes on my other cars before with out a problem. Re-plumbed my 49 chevy and added power brakes without a problem. This truck has a drum / rotors on the rear. The drum is for the parking brake. You can't get the pads in wrong on this setup. It got be stumped and just asking for any advise. I have a old friend of mine who use to do brakes for a living. He will be on vacation for a week. I will wait for him or if anyone comes up with a solution. Believe me I won't drive it. It has plenty of brakes all the time!

marcus
Old 04-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

You could try pulling the calipers off ad see if they are still locked up. Could be that internal e-brake setup is locked up. How did you push the pistons back in. DId you open the bleededs or just force the fluid back through the master and ABS unit. Are you sure you have the correct pads, there could be a similar number that is a little thinner. If it is getting that your you may have already ruined those rotors. Did you have any trouble getting the calipers back on when you put it together.

Chet
Old 04-28-2008, 02:42 PM

On one wheel i pushed the piston back in without having to loosen the bleeders. On the other side i did loosen the bleeder because it was to hard to push back. They are the right pads. I had them double check the numbers.

That has been a debate from several people to loosen the bleeders or not

The internal E brake is free. That is the first thing I checked.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.